1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical Bars on Pana Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kriswood5, Nov 18, 2004.

1. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

Can anyone explain this on please?

If I watch a football game on Sky Sports 1 then I can view it in widescreen. However, last night I was watching the football which was broadcast by BBC through sky and I could not view it in widescreen so I ended up with two black vertical bars down either side of the picture. Why does this happen on BBC transmissions received through Sky as normal sky sports games are ok? Can I manually adjust the Viera to stretch the screen to fill the picture as widescreen? I tried playing with the settings and all I could do was zoom in which meant I lost the top and bottom of the picture which was not good.

Thanks

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They are sending a 4:3 picture in a widescreen frame, not that uncommon.

3. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is the only option to zoom in on the picture? Can I not force a widescreen view?

The other weid thing was that the vertical bars were black even though I have set them to grey, all other channels were grey except this broadcast. During half time the game jumped back to widecreen and then reverted back to the black bars as soon as the 2nd half commenced.

4. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Like MAW said they are sending a 4:3 picture in a 16:9 transmision the black bars are part of that transmission and not the screens normal grey 4:3 side bars.