Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Vertical bars in overlay (not vertical banding!)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dunkyboy, Sep 9, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is really strange, but in my current setup I'm sometimes getting strange vertical bars regularly spaced across the screen of the DVD overlay in PowerDVD XP 4 and WinDVD 5. I say sometimes because sometimes PowerDVD looks fine, and sometimes it has the bars. I haven't yet figured out what causes them to appear. TheaterTek, on the other hand, doesn't display the bars.

(BTW, this is NOT vertical banding, as can sometimes appear on LCD PJs; this is MUCH less subtle, and without a shadow of a doubt has nothing to do with the projector, as it appears on both the overlay on the projector and on my monitor.)

Here's my setup; it's kind of a complicated one:

* HTPC (Athlon 1GHz, 512MB, Radeon 7000)
    * Dell P990 19" monitor connected to DVI out on the Radeon with a DVI-to-VGA adaptor dongle thingie
    * Sanyo Z1 projector attached to the main VGA out on the Radeon

The Radeon is set such that the DVI out (and thus the Dell monitor) is the main display, and the VGA out (Z1) is the secondary. Normally, you might expect me to use them the "default" way, with the VGA out being the primary display, but connecting the Z1 via the DVI out causes problems as it won't let me set it to 960x540 - only standard resolutions. So I have to have it connected to the VGA out, and the displays swapped in the ATI Control Panel.

You might say, "just use TheaterTek" - I'd be happy to, but TheaterTek in its infinite wisdom, only seems to want to run in the primary display..... sigh....

I'm lost now... PowerDVD sometimes runs perfectly, with no vertical bars, but sometimes it doesn't. It also has the worst picture quality of the three.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dunc

P.S. - Using the latest Catalyst drivers.