1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical banding problem with HS10 & Radeon 9700

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by reggs, Apr 1, 2003.

1. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Finally solved the screen size problem with my HS10 under DVI control and now have a screen resolution of 1368 x 768 using Powerstrip on my Radeon 9700 Pro. The picture however is virtually unreadable :confused:

There are lots of brightly coloured horizontal bars right across the screen and most of the Desktop text is distorted by them. It looks like I have the timing set-up wrongly, becuase if I switch back to a more normal resolution such as 1024 x 768, then the banding on the PC Desktop disappears.
    I also get the same bars when my PC is booting up on the DOS screens! Is this normal for an HS10 under DVI? The desktop displays fine on a monitor connected through the VGA.
    Anyone have any ideas on what I can do in order to get a stable viewable picture that doesn't have all of the coloured banding via DVI?
    I'm using the following Powerstrip settings under XP - 1368x768=1368,80,136,200,768,1,3,21,79905,7

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    try

1368x768=1368,88,144,232,768,1,3,30,82280,7

or

1368x768=1368,72,136,208,768,1,3,21,79223,3094

3. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks JohnS, I tried both strings but niether seems to make much difference. I'm particularly worried that the DOS screens are also corrupt. Is this normal via DVI?
    Any other suggestions?
    I'm concerned that my Radeon is at fault ...

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi reggs.

I rec'd your e-mail & sent a reply, but TBH, my mates PC is running Win '95 & I'm not sure if you got it or not.

I suspect your cable may well be the suspect. DVI is picky at high(ish) resolutions.

If your HS10 is locking onto the signal & displaying #51 or #121 (IIRC) in the menu, then it's receiving the correct res/timings etc...

I know your DVI cable underwent some "surgery" ;) & I suspect this will cause you problems.

Fingers crossed it's a setup issue, but I suspect it's the cable.

Cheap(ish) way to confirm is to get another DVI cable & try that direct (albeit temporary). Cost about £27 but you should be able to sell it here for a little less.

We may be travelling through Manchester on route to Glasgow later this week. If so, I'll be sure to give you a shout.

I've no probs with posts/PMs here - e-mail is a bit unreliable :(

Chat soon & best of luck ;)

5. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Boys, would you please take a few minutes and write down here an idiots guide for me in setting up Powerstrip and its' timings. Do I set this up before I connect my Radeon 9700pro via dvi to the hs10 or what is the sequence of events please?
    Sorry to be a pain, but I really need your help.

Cheers
    Rick