1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical banding - pics, examples..?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dunkyboy, May 18, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've heard much talk of the so-called vertical banding phenomenon, but have never seen it myself, despite having owned an LCD PJ for the past 8 months, and seen demos of various other models. But now I'm hoping to upgrade to an AE300 or some such (Z2 anybody??) and it's beginning to concern me.

What is it, really? What does it look like? Does anyone have screenshots of the effect? Any particular movies/scenes that show it up?

I'm not sure, but from what I understand somebody somewhere seemed to imply it doesn't happen with HTPCs - is this true? (I'm running an HTPC, so maybe that would explain why I've never run into it with my current PJ.)

Cheers,

Dunc

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, yes & no.

Driving from a HCPC with 1:1 mapping does improve the problem (& apparently removes VB completely on some PJs).

Both AE100s I owned had pronounced VB (the 2nd was far worse) which was inherant in the unit itself - always fed from a HCPC - banding was clearly visible in the service menus with no source connected.

So it seems there are two distinct types of VB :eek:

It looks like viewing through a vertically streaked window - darkish vertical bands evenly (or randomly) spaced accross the panels, particularly visible on bright scenes - sky scenes etc...

:smoke:

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Duncan,

Without wanting to sound trite, if you aren't seeing it it's probably because you don't have it, and all the better !!!

As Kramer described, it's like rain streaks on a window, but there seems to be much less talk of it with the current crop of projectors - on that basis, when your upgrade time comes it shouldn't be a critical factor. Running from hcpc makes a very substantial difference, unless there's an inherent problem with the panels - the manuals from most pjs designed to run from PC (commercial presentation types) recommend adjusting the clock/phase to reduce/eliminate VB, because of 1:1 pixel matching, I reckon our approach really is the way to deal with it, other than pjs with access to in-depth service parameters (Z1, for instance.)

All the best,

Sean G.

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks guys. :smashin:

Okay, yeah, definitely don't have that on my current PJ (Hitachi XGA business LCD fed off an HTPC running at native res), but I'm sure peopel have said it exists on some of the recent crop of budget home cinema-centric LCDs (Z1, AE300, HS10, etc). Oh well, guess I'll just have to suck it and see (certainly nobody in Edinburgh has an AE300 for demo. :()

On that note, how are the retailers/manufacturers' policies regarding VB? Is it treated as "acceptable", like with small numbers of dead pixels? Or will they replace a unit with VB?

Cheers,

Dunc