Verifying whether a movie is surround or plain stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jeroen1000, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Jeroen1000

Jeroen1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    And here I am again:)

I've got a Logitech Z-680 surround system (purchased initially for my computer) that for the time being also serves as surround for my TV.
    Now, I've come to the (shocking) conclusion that Telenet (our cable service provider) does not send out surround with every (pratically none actually) movie and my system does not detect what is coming in through the optical. It plays sounds in pro logic and movie mode, stereo and stereo X2, and seemingly through every speaker...
    As I've never had surround at home I can't tell what I'm getting when.

And no, my cheap ass budget does not allow an upgrade for the time being:D. I gather most low end A/V receivers would display what they are getting in?

I hope there is some way to verify?:)

2. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Most amps have an "auto" mode which should detect what audio type is in the current source and switch accordingly. Yours doesn't have some kind of auto-mode?
    Not sure otherwise... but unless you have Sky HD, there's virtually no programming in DD 5.1 anyhow. Sky movies being the exception on standard Sky+. I'd imagine the cable companies are the same, if not worse.

3. Jeroen1000

Jeroen1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If this one has an auto mode, I haven't discovered it yet. Time to dig up the instructions but I'm quite sure it only had a handful of pages in many many languages:).

Damn cable company is asking 20 euro's a month (25 if one wants HD) and then isn't sending 5.1 audio (told by someone who has an auto switching amp). That's just a scam:mad:
    I though the surrounds would stay dead quiet when being fed stereo but apparently this is not the case...

4. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Only if the Amp is in stereo mode. If you're using Pro-logic, then the surrounds will also be used.