Verdict on Octavia VRS TD

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Squiffy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    My Fabia VRS is three years old this month, so I'm looking to replace it. I could potentially wait till the new model Fabia VRS comes out around Q2 next year, but the more I read about the Octavia VRS TD, the more I want one!

I do 20k miles per year, so I'm pretty certain I want a diesel.

Anyone got any comments on this car, or any alternatives up to about £17.5k?

2. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    We've had a 4x4 Turbo Octavia Estate in the family for a while now (Unleaded), and we love it! Interior is plain by stylish, comfy seats & standard equipment is great. The VRS should be special :)

Jez

3. Shidojin

Shidojin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    have a look at this site if you haven't already

http://www.briskoda.net/

i've had a petrol octavia vrs for the last 4 years and couldn't be happier with it:thumbsup:

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    I've seen the site before, but had forgotten about it.

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    Found a great deal online for the VRS TD. £17295 for an estate with 18" alloy wheel upgrade, the blue metallic paint and the dual zone climate control (which includes the Jumbo box). I'd like the maxidot too if possible, but not a big deal.

So have passed details to my local dealer, and off to see them tomorrow to see how close they can get to matching it, plus how good their trade in value would be.

I'd be willing to have just a hatchback, and potentially drop the 18" wheels to bring the price down - but I won't suggest that to the dealer up front.

Any suggestions on how best to conduct the negotiations?

I'd very much like to stick with the dealer if I can. Their service has been consistently excellent, plus it would be easier to handle selling / trading my car and transferring my private plates across thru them.

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038

Squiffy, I would just be upfront with the dealer, don't mess about. Print out any quote from the web and give it to him. I had a quick look and its not hard to get the estate VRS with 18" wheels for under £18k from a main dealer.

We did the same when my wife recently bought her Corsa, and the local dealer matched it and got the sale :)

7. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Don't overlook the Leon FR TDi PD170. Sportier ride and handling than the Skoda's and pitched bang between them for size. If you don't need the space of the Octy then I'd get one of these. It's on my list for in 2 years when I let my Furby vRS go.

8. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    Not a fan of the Leon to be honest. I prefer the more chunky Octavia looks, plus as I mentioned I'm very happy with my dealer. I've also heard some pretty uncomplimentary things about Seat dealers.

So went to see the dealer today. By the end of things, we were still about £800 apart on the deal, and he was perplexed by the online deal I had found as he couldn't see how the car could be sold at that price. So he is going to speak to Skoda HO tomorrow, and then get back to me with their best deal.

I'm pretty dubious about this - it is a pretty old tactic to refer to someone else in authority and then come back to me to say that 'they' couldn't possibly do a better deal. :rolleyes: Lets see what they say tomorrow, but looks like I might have to wait for the new Fabia VRS.

Also went to the Ford dealer down the road to look at a new Mondeo. Exterior looked worse than it does in photos, and then I sat in one. I really didn't like it after I sat in it. Probably didn't help that the one I sat in had that disgusting orange-plastic wood on the fascia, and the armrest was broken.

And then called in at the Jaguar dealer down the road from Ford as my eldest son was begging to have a look at them. Looked at a used X-type diesel saloon in blue with cream leather interior. Quite surprised myself at how much I liked the X-Type interior (although still think the exterior styling looks 'old'). I had a valuation of my trade-in at a whopping £1250 below book value, so I doubt I'll be following that one up. :eek: The salesman said he'd speak to his sales manager tomorrow to see if they could improve the deal. That old tactic again.... :boring:

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    If you favoured dealer doesn't offer the deal you want, just buy it from the dealer that will. You'll still take it to the local dealer for servicing.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960

Having driven the new Fabia, I am increasingly sure this could be quite a car (although I have no idea how they will macho up the new cars somewhat cutesey appearance). The new Fabia is unusual inasmuch that the new car addressed every single gripe I have with the current VRS interior (stereo too low, completely pointless storage hole without lip above it that ejected its contents under acceleration, dismal three quarter visibility) and the chassis seems quite pointy as well.

That said the Octavia is a nice car but do you need the extra size and bulk?

11. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    Well, the dealer got back to me. They cut £500 off the price of the car, and added £250 to my trade in.

So thats close enough for me, and I've been to sign the order. Delivery will be on 26th September. :thumbsup:

12. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Ooh, a new car on my birthday :D Shame it's not a new car for ME on my birthday :(

Did you look at the boot of the X-Type ? I was shocked at how small it was ! A good car for the executive pizza delivery type, as 3 pizza boxes would be the limit :D

13. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    I did look at the X Type boot. But as I'm moving from a Fabia, it didn't look too bad. :rolleyes:

Can't wait for my Octavia VRS though. I'm such a kid with stuff like this.

A review will be posted up when I get it.

14. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    Got it this morning, but haven't had much time to drive it.

Very happy with it so far on the short trips I've done. :thumbsup:

15. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Would love to see some pics maybe, I would love a Skoda, but the wife is still a badge snob, so maybe seeing a pic of your new beats might help me to convince her to go for one! :)

Thanks in advance.

James

16. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    Hi James.

I took a few photos today for you. It is a little bit grubbier now than pick up day. Damn those insects! :rolleyes:

Good luck with convincing your wife. Mine was the same at first when I got the Fabia VRS, but she has totally changed her mind now.

Attached Files:

17. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,805
    OK, mini-review time.

Still only done around 200 miles so the engine needs to loosen up a lot. But even as it is, I'm extremely impressed.

First of all, I love the look and the colour. Very glad I stayed with the 18" wheels as they give it real presence. And the colour is absolutely beautiful IMHO.

The interior is pretty good, there is ample room for my 6'3 frame and the seat is very comfortable. Plenty of room for the three kids in the back, even behind my seat when fully back. The boot is also a very good size and we will probably use this car for weekends away rather than my wifes Citroen C8.

Economy hasn't been fantastic so far. Averaging about 37mpg (compared to 55mpg in the Fabia), but the engine has a lot of loosening up to do and I still need to adjust my driving style to suit the car.

Performance is excellent. The point at which the power really kicks in is a little higher than in the Fabia VRS, but when it does.... :eek: I haven't really been booting it yet, but lets just say that overtaking is not an issue. The only small thing is that off the line it isn't that fast - there is a bit of hesitation at the bottom end of the rev range, but that is probably just due to it needing to loosen up. It already seems better than when I first picked it up.

Oh, and the noise it makes when accelerating hard. It doesn't sound like a diesel, it has a very throaty roar which really brings a grin to my face.

Handling is very good, with good grip when cornering, and a surprisingly supple ride with those 18" wheels. It isn't a magic carpet ride by any means, but a good compromise between comfort and handling.

Downsides so far... Rear visibility is poor, and I'm seriously thinking of getting some aftermarket parking sensors. I'm missing some of the cubbies that the Fabia had such as the slot under the radio which was handy for putting in my 1-into-3 cigarette lighter socket. Also, road noise is not as controlled as I thought it might be, it isn't terrible, but it isn't that much better than the Fabia - especially on that pit that is the M20 from J9 to J8.

Overall I'm really pleased with the car.

18. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Looks superb!!! Wow!

We currently have a Vectra petrol, which we are happy with, but will look to change in a couple of years, and I have always fancied the Octavia, even from the days when it was first launched, and even more so now that most things with it are in line with VW/Audi products.

Would love to hear how you get on with over the coming months, but overall it really does look good!

Thanks for the pics.

James