1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verance Watermarking and Arcam players with DVD-A

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rafaelp, Oct 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if Arcam players able to play DVD-A's include Verance watermarking?

Check this site...

http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/0800/09.dvdwatermark.shtml

The article is old (2000), but is it valid? If a DVD-A player does not contain the Verance technology will it still play Verance-encoded DVD-A's.

Regards,
    Rafael

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Rafael - yes the DV27A will play watermarked DVD-A discs, unless of course they are found to be illegal copies, when the unit's watermark detector may kick in and stop the player. Of course I know of no easy method of making such copies so you are in the clear here I think!

HTH

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. rafaelp

rafaelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response, John. My main concern was not whether they would play or not but how the watermarking affects the sound. I know it's not your doing but this watermarking stuff affects you directly.

We buy Arcam's because they sound great but if we end up with DVD-A's containing audible watermarks then what's the point of spending good money on state-of-the-art players (gigo - garbage-in, garbage-out). Will there be truth in advertising concerning these "crippled" discs so that we can vote with our wallets.

I have a huge collection of records, CD's, and DVD's. Maybe I'll stop and start downloading. The quality won't be that much worse than these copy-protected discs that only protect legitimate owners from enjoying their purchases.

Guess I'm a little mad!!! :)

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    According to my colleagues in the music production industry who know about this, any watermarking is (a) optional and not actually used that often and (b) chosen to be placed in content passages where it is very likely to be inaudible even with a careful a-b test against the same non watermarked material.

I have never heard anything on a commercial DVD-A that could be attributed to watermarking - I suspect the impact of any watermarking is frankly trivial in the scheme of things. To even think of comparing any degradation due to properly applied watermarking with MP3 class downloads is frankly absurd.

Best wishes,

John Dawson (Arcam)