venture photography

shaolin101

just had some family pictures taken at Venture - they look great but cost an absolute fortune!

Wondered how to re-recreate the style - i know some will be done in photoshop or similar but I have a spare room that i can use for the photography and am needing to know what type of camera and where i could get one of those big lights they use.

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks
Liam

RimBlock

Have a look at my sticky thread at the top of the forum. This is what I have been doing and there are some usefull tips and hints there to stop you making the same mistakes I did to start with.

Cheers
RB

bellso

Had a sesh done earlier in month too - your not wrong about bein expensive - shocking!

But i see it as a long term investment, they do look very well done!

Think any close us stuff should be easy to recreate, as long as you can get the lighting right.

swift one

Standard Member
in response to bellso,

investment? perhaps emotional but not financial, who wants pictures of strangers! high fashion photography perhaps, but will probably look rubbish in a few years! if you are looking for investments in photography book a session with a great photographer not the franchise company venture.

swift one

Standard Member
Venture are making far too much money from what i perceive as emotional blackmail. don't you think its time people started using local talented photographers rather than using this franchise company? chances are one would get as good, if not better results and for at least half the price.

comments please...

Strobe

Surely must break the record for oldest resurrected thread? :rolleyes:

We had a Venture sesh a month or two ago, we "won" a competition in the local paper. The photo session was a laugh, my seven year old enjoyed it and it was a very professional set-up. The photo viewing was a sales pitch and the prices for the completed displays was ludicrous! The freeby framed 7x5 was nice though :D

Last edited:

springtide

Distinguished Member
T'is a rip off IMO :thumbsdow What looks good today, may not stand the test of time.

Have the prices changes in the current climate?

A friend got talking to one of the 'venture' style photographic companies as they were stood offering 'free sessions'.
He has been doing a little bit of studio work himself 'on the side' and was interested from a business prospective how they work.

At the end of the talking he managed to walk away with one of their 'forms' that they fill out for 'internal use only'.
There was a whole section which basically was about how much 'disposable income' the people had. There were tick boxes about how they are dressed (type of clothes, designer etc), their job etc, where they lived and a few more.
What he found interesting was that they didn't ask these questions straight out as if it was required for the form, but in conversation managed to pull this information from the person without asking directly.

I have another friend went to the same place and came away with the ‘full treatment’. When they went to view the photos, they were sat down and given a large glass of champagne as soon as they arrived, and were well into their second glass before they were shown the photos. ‘Continuous top ups’ seemed to be the order of the day, and they did come away feeling that they had a great afternoon (and their photos are fantastic).

I’m unsure how I feel about this if I’m honest. It’s easy to think that they were ‘ripped off’, but when they booked their ‘free session’ they pretty much knew exactly what they’d be spending as a few or their friends had been before. They enjoyed the photo shoot (said it was lots of fun) and had a really enjoyable afternoon ‘being pampered’ – so to speak.

Strobe

I have to say in Venture's defence, the session we had was very professional and the finished products were fantastic, but they are treated as 'works of art' not just mounted photos. They are very high quality but you pay through the nose for it. From memory, something like a 3 x 10"x10" mounted set was £250 odd. :eek:

springtide

Distinguished Member
I have to say in Venture's defence, the session we had was very professional and the finished products were fantastic, but they are treated as 'works of art' not just mounted photos. They are very high quality but you pay through the nose for it. From memory, something like a 3 x 10"x10" mounted set was £250 odd. :eek:

The more I think about it, I am more inclined to agree with defending photo studios like Venture.

They also must have large overheads from staff; premises etc and I would guess that even with these prices they are not exactly making huge profits.

It’s funny as photographers, as we can (or think we can!) do it ourselves we think that the prices are over inflated, and yet if it was that easy to make lots of money surely we’d all be doing it?

But reality seems to be that unless professional photographers get a ‘break’ into the big time, then there doesn’t seem to be huge money to be made.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom