1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ventilation: Kit in cupboard question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by gilesm, Nov 30, 2004.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear all

Just bought myself a new LCD screen for the living room, but in a quest to save space I want to move all of my kit into a cupboard hidden away. I'm building a small set of shelves (I'd like to call it a rack, but that probably strectiching the truth a little) to fit in the cupboard.

My question is about ventilation, do I need too provide ventilation? The kit I'm going to have in there are:
    Arcam AVR300 AVAmp, Arcam DV89 DVD Player, Sky +, Loewe Spheros Media box, Xantech IR Distribution Amp.

It's quite a large cupboard and there'll be lots of space around the units themselves and in fact there's nothing else in the cupboard. Will this lot generate too much heat? The only thing thats really on all the time is the Xantech and Sky+ the rest will be off more than on?

Thanks

Giles

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    If you cant put in some vents , it wouldn't do any harm.Easier to do now before you place everything in it

3. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the cupboard is sealed then you will definately need some ventilation otherwise the heat could just build up to damaging levels. A reasonable size vent at the bottom and top of the cupboard would allow natural convection currents to circulate which will help coolinh a great deal.

4. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I say get some perforations in there. Drill tiny little holes so the heat can get out directly.

You need holes anyway to get your cables through....

5. Rusty9

Rusty9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Y dont you cut a small whole in the back and mount a computers CPU fan to blow into the cupboard..?

That just my opinion, opinions are like A-holes, every1 has 1 but sum of the stink...

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,342
    I have all my kit in a cupboard (cheapie from IKEA) details on the whole experience here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125040.
    I found with a back on and 6 large vent slots across the back then the temperature in there was higher than I would like. I ended up opening the back and using an X brace to tension the cupboard.
    Don't just worry about heat, cabling is a nightmare! I kidded myself that once I'd done it I wouldn't go back in there, but in practice I've had to drag it out a few times. If you have a closed back and lots of cables it gets really hard to deal with.
    If you can I'd recommend an open back and/or mounting your shelves on full length drawer runners so you can get at everything reasonably easily. If your shelves are freestanding in the cupboard then consider castors.

7. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone, I thought this would be the answer. My situation is slightly complicated as its a built in cupboard the kits going to go in, right in the middle of the house, so there's no natural ventilation as such. After all of your comments I've decided the best bet is to change the door for a louvre door instead, hopefully that should let the heat escape. If it doesn't on it's own then I'll have to look at getting a small fan to help circulation. I'm off to buy a thermometer anyway.

Thanks alot