Ventilation concerns...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Antpink, Mar 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    All - can someone advise me what the ventilation requirements of a typical LCD display should be (also asked same question about plasmas on that forum)? I am considering mounting inside a cabinet which has limited rear ventilation, so all hot air will be collected behind the screen and vented over the top though a gap only 12" or so tall - will this be a short trip to an expensive thermal related failure??

Thanks in advance

2. amadeus

amadeus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Toshiba 32WLT58 mounted in a cabinet with very little clearance on all sides (2cm top and bottom and 10cm each side). Ventilation is provided by a duct about 7cm wide by 85cm long directly above the TV. I have used this set up for about four months and the TV never seems to get any warmer than it did when operating free standing.
    Hope this helps

3. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    amadeus - thanks that does help - I am looking at the 40" Bravia and dimensions will give me a little clearance at sides, but decent top and bottom - although not a direct duct, airflow should be good to suck in cool at the bottom and exit from the top, so I probably shouldn't be too worried.

Thanks angain

4. runner125

runner125

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I didn't realise from your first post that it was a 40" Bravia. I got mine a few weeks ago and inside the cellophane bag of instruction booklets is a loose leaf page solely about ventilation giving a clear diagram as to what clearances are required. I'll post a pdf of it if you can't find yours.
    Sony probably do state bigger gaps than are actually required to give the set a fighting chance of staying cool and not going faulty but that's only my cynical opinion however must say that I have noticed that since installing mine on the wall, its like having an extra radiator in the room. A lot of heat does come from the top vents and the screen does seem to radiate warmth as well. :D

Attached Files:

5. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    runner - thanks - that would be ace of you could post me the pdf file. Very much appreciated. Funny that I have never noticed how it runs a little warm in the shop - I shall have to get my face and fingers up closer next time I wander in. Looks like a very slick set, and I have seen the DVD quality looks very good. How have you found off-air broadcast stuff, specifically fast moving stuff, like sports? I saw a set in KL the other day that must have had a pretty bad feed, as the footballers seem to be dissolving as they started the run, and then reforming at the other end when they cam to a halt, bit like a video game gone bad!

Thanks again.

6. runner125

runner125

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hope you can wait until Monday for the pdf as my scanner at home is a bit dodgy. Will have to scan at work Monday morning if I can't get it to work in the meantime.

As for feed..... am currently just running off freeview but have to say that picture is fine. Have recently watched football matches and F1 Grand Prix cars(even quicker than Thierry Henry) and the pic was perfect.

7. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    runner - thanks. Monday I can wait for, and the weekend is just around the corner so it may be time to see if I can drag the wife into the Sony store to take a look and get her opinion. Glad to hear that the freeview looks OK - this is my biggest concern, as I think the DVD material will be just fine.
    Thanks again. AP

8. runner125

runner125

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here is the 2 pages from the manual that covers the issue of ventilation, as you can see, 12" may be sufficient.
    Please note as advised by Sony, NEVER put a pillow on top of your LCD! :rotfl: :D

Attached Files: