Veneering existing cabinets

bones`

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a sevrvo 15 off these forums and while the performance is astounding the appearance is doing nothing for my sex life :(

The finish is black ash, vynil wrap rather than veneer. Would there be any way of veneering the cabinet in oak or similar or would it just be easier to sell it and buy an oak sub? I do have to say though that once you taste this level of bass there is no going back :rolleyes:

The easiest by far is to use fablon, it's not far removed from the cheap finish they put on the servo 15 anyway!

to hide a lot of the smaller scratches, a surpriingly good thing to try is black boot polish... it really helps smooth out the little scuffs.

There are no scratches on the surface I was just wondering if it would be possible to veneer over the top using the iron on sheets to make the sub more wife friendly. I would imagine the black ash wrap would be impossible to remove without damaging the cabinet and i'm not sure anything would stick to the current surface. It looks like an iraqi super gun.

Give the surface a good clean (no polish) and you'll be fine.

Fablon will stick to anything!

It's a good test to see which colour looks best in your room before you veneer it

I think it has to be oak. You think oak will stick to the black ash? I have never tried the veneers before so I havn't got a clue

A proper veneer slice will not have any kind of adhesive on the back so you can choose your method of attaching.

The kind with an adhesive backing is pretty sticky in my experience, as long as the surface it is sticking to is clean, dry and dust free, you will be fine.

HTH

Have done exactly the same thing using fablon on a "super-centre" I threw together......

The surface was similair sounding to yours & it went on fine.:smashin:

Where can this Fablon be purchased from and is it avalable in oak finish as I also would like to cover some black ash floor standers
Thanks Mark

Bones,
Doing a search within these forums on the subject of veneering should result in a several recent postings about the subject and who are the best people to talk to.

If you get stuck and cannot find any results, do a search on my ID and you we find a few results. Very easy to do, as most modern veneers are preglued and should provide a great finish.
Hope that helps.

Afternoon all,

Really interested in this fablon stuff, has anybody used it? What happens at the corners - does it simply fold around or does it have to be cut? I've never seen it so any comments from those who have would be appreciated!

Cheers all

Cheers pemberto when I get time i'll bury my head in the search section. :)

I don't think I would want to try fablon because imo its no better than the black ash finish. Even if i was tempted I know from experiance with similar sticky backed materials what a total pain it is to stick the stuff down without any air bubbles or creases. The larger the surface the harder it gets.

I covered (as a test to check colouring) 5 absolutely huge transmission line floorstanders with fablon and air bubbles were entirely absent.

As long as you have a modicum of physical skill you'll be fine.

There was a dealer on Ebay selling sheets of veneer (can't recall if there was oak) but I suspect as well as selling it he would advise on fitting & adhesives.

I am just about to have my sub veneered in eucalyptus. Its going to be done by hand using sheets of veneer and contact adhesive I belive.

MDF to Veneered for a case of Fosters ;)

Attachments

• dscf0016.jpg
    dscf0016.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 198
Taz that looks excellent!!!

I have an idea that might be more wife friendly, thou its more work

If you have a downfiring sub with a amp at the rear, you could make it into what looks like a small cupboard/table unit/video cabient

get a MFI door or make one to size, to sides from pine sheet and a over sized top with routed edges. ive messed about with Autocad and have a resonable DWG for 15" sub project im planning

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom