Velvet or flok tape?

HandsomeBWonderful

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the middle of making my fixed frame screen and was wondering what the general consensus was on velvet vs flok tape for the border. For my old screen I used velvet and it worked an absolute treat but I remember it was a nightmare trying to wrap it around each of the mitred joints. What's the verdict on flok tape then? Does it come with an adhesive backing and, if so, what are the chances of it coming unglued over time? How easy is it to use especially when wrapping around frame edges?

Here's a link to Nexnix's self-adhesive flok tape:

http://shop.nexnix.co.uk/Flok_Tape.html

a) it's not particularly cheap and b) I think the intention is to stick it flat along the edges of your screen as opposed to wrapping a frame in it (which would end up costing you a lot)

I'm in a bit of a quandary with this myself. I have a nice diy screen which still needs a black border and I don't know what to use for it. I'm not sure whether to go the velvety or other matt material route though the Nexnix tape seems an ideal solution. I read a review online where someone had tested a few things and it appeared that proper velvet is the best, with the crushed variety, flok, felt etc all being less effective to varying degrees. Someone mentioned a while back that they'd got velvet tape from John Lewis for a good price but I don't know if it was self-adhesive.

edit: Gary's done a bit of research on this and come to a similar conclusion by the looks of things:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250722

Try searching Ebay for (3" black velvet tape). This sells for about $49.99 USD on Ebay for a 45 foot roll.

I used the 3" wide flok tape from Nexnix to put an edge round my 8ft x 4ft sheet of mdf.

It is adhesive backed and went on a treat,very easy to cut/mitre with a stanley knife.Mine has been up for nearly 12 months and no sign of comming unstuck.

It is expensive but I would use it again,makes quite a difference to the percieved contrast levels by having a black border.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom