Velvet direction! Dilemma

CalabiYau

Hello

I am preparing a fabric to mask first 2m of white side wall and ceiling. I've finally bought a black polyester velvet. A very good deal.

My room is 4x5m so this would mean approximately half of the room treated. The opposite wall from screen (where the sofa is next to) will be untreated white and also there is some untreated furniture.

I just want to reduce the biggest reflections not having a perfect bat cave and I assume it.

I have checked that this velvet has one direction which is a light eater and the others have some light reflection.

Now I am wondering how to orientate the fabric. There are two possible choices:

1) Fabric is seen as pure black from the seat. But seen from the screen it is a really dark grey, reflecting some light when iluminated in bright scenes.
2) Fabric is seen as very dark grey reflecting some light from the seat but seen from the screen is pure black.

What is the recommended way?

On one hand 1) means a full pure black frame for the viewer. No reflections at all at any type of image (bright or dark). But there is some light reflection towards the screen. It is still a very dim one. The opposite wall or other untreated side walls are far more brighter than this grey black. So my intuition is that this contribution to the contrast destruction is negligible.

On the other hand 2) could be far more distracting for the viewer as the fabric will be brighter or darker depending on the projected image. But the reflected light to the screen will be virtually zero. Apparently this is more interesting in the contrast battle, but considering that the room is not 100% treated I am not sure if it is so important comparing to the distraction that represents a small reflection in the viewer direction.

To check the light in the screen, I just stand very close to the screen and have a look to the fabric or walls. Not very precise but probably enough to see that this dark dark grey is sending much less photons that let's say the white wall opposite to the screen...

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comment or experience...

Thanks!

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Option 1

CalabiYau

Thanks!

This is also my preferred choice righ now. My guess is that dark grey reflection towards to screen would be small compared to other sources.

Maybe in a 100% treated room this would be different (or maybe other velvets are not as directional)

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Other velvets are still directional.

Alot of contrast is what is “perceived contrast” meaning the darker the room, the more the picture will pop, always get the room as dark as realistically possible.

CalabiYau

Other velvets are still directional.

Alot of contrast is what is “perceived contrast” meaning the darker the room, the more the picture will pop, always get the room as dark as realistically possible.
Thanks for your answer!
I'll choose number 1 then!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom