Velour velvet fabric?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Dr Force, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Hi guys

I am wanting to make removeable panels around the side and top of my screen. This is to help any reflective light and I also want to help the edges of the screen disappear when viewing the Pj ( will be an x30)

I have seen some black velvet velour for sale on eBay and wondered if this will be ok to use??

Thanks
    Dave:thumbsup:

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Devore seems to be the fabric of choice here, but it is a bit costly compared to some others. The downside is the cheaper ones aren't as good, but without doing a direct comparison with the ebay stuff and Devore, we've no idea how much better the Devore is. Devore and Fidelio (in the USA) seem to be the best choices though according to those who've done the testing/comparisons.

What a lot of us have done in the past is get a lot of samples together and then buy the best one, or the best value, depending on budget. I found that the Maplin speaker felt cloth did a pretty good job on my walls and ceiling although it's not as good as the Devore (didn't know of the Devore at the time). I did buy some Sorcerer Black plush velvet from ebay and that was good value and very light absorptive, but it seems that later material had a bit more of a sheen to it, and now appears to no longer be available.

What's the ebay item number for the dtuff you were looking at? Your link only takes me to ebay and not the velvet.

Gary

3. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Thanks for taking the time out Gary:thumbsup:

This is the item

10m 60" BLACK STRETCH VELOUR OR VELVET fabric | eBay

If the general thought is devore do you have any link to buy it:confused: as I am only going around the sides and top of the screen, I don't need that much thus the cost implication is far less. The idea is that I will make removable panels to help with that floating screen look and the contrast.

The whole wall will now have a black curtain from floor to ceiling so just need to do the sides and top.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Hi,

Here is the link for the Devore:

Whaleys

The ebay stuff you have linked too will be OK but may have a little sheen to it, so I'd probably go for the Devore, especially as you're not doing a huge area. Al of Ideal AV did the same as what you intend to do and the results are excellent, so try the search and see if you can find the thread of his build for the pics.

Gary

5. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Thanks Gary, will purchase some, should make a nice difference to the immediate areas around the screen.

Cheers

6. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Ordered:thumbsup:

My screen is quite well down from the ceiling so there is a lot of the black showing from the top of the white screen. My intention was to put a border along the top and both sides but I'm thinking the bottom of the screen is close to my light oak cabinet which may reflect more back to the screen so would I be better covering this rather than the ceiling??

Thanks
    Dave:thumbsup:

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    I would cover both. Although all the room can contribute reflections, it's the surfaces that are nearest that can have the biggest effect, so cover things like cabinet and speakers etc too.

Gary

8. Dr Force

Dr Force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Excellent advice Gary, thanks for taking the time to help.

Cheers
    Dave