1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne vs Svs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by iaria, Nov 9, 2004.

1. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys and girls
    does any body know how the velodyne cht12-r compares to the svs Pb10??
    In terms of power, slam, accuracy and deep bass ??
    Thank you
    Gerry

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I dont think anyone in the UK knows the answer to that - there are only a handful of people in the UK who have the new SVS and a head to head comparison is unlikely to have been performed at this early stage.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nobody in the UK has heard them both as they are both new subs. It would seem that only two or three had received their PB-10 whilst probably a similar number have heard the Velodyne offering.

The SVS website and the Secrets test show the £350 PB-10 to be flat to 19Hz whilst the £470 CHT-12R is claimed to have a frequency range of 25Hz to 120Hz +/- 3db according to the Velodyne website.

The well respected Secrets of Home Theater reviewed the PB-10 here and whilst they haven't tested the CHT-12R they did test the 10" version in it's American guise of DPS-10 here. A comparison of the distortion figures are particularly interesting.

AV-Sales over at Tunbridge Wells probably have the Velodyne on demo so why don't you go and have a listen as it can't be that far from you

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With them figures my money would be on the SVS.

John

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree that the SVS sounds far better on paper but unfortunately paper doesn't always tell the whole story. The two forum reviews so far of the PB-10 have hardly been extensive :D so will have to be discounted but at least iaria lives fairly close to Tunbridge Wells where AV-Sales carry a range of the CHT-R subs so he can have a listen to them, make his own mind up on the Velodyne range at least, and hopefully report back his findings.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horses for courses i suppose :D

John

7. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys
    I suppose judging by what the lucky few who own the PB-10, that is the one to go for, but what if something goes wrong with the sub?? What would you do with it? At least the Velodyne can be listen to ( thank you Ian for the reminder about Tunbridge Well, I will go there asap) Smile
    BTW I can buy so far the Cht-12 for less than £450. Talking

Gerry

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There really isn't that much that can wrong with a sub either the Amp or Driver, and SVS Customer service is Excellent, if your willing to take the plunge like quite a few on this forum have then you would not be dissapointed as the Bang per $ or £ is pretty good.

John

9. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi recruit, what kind of guaranty does SVS offer??
    I mean what if it arrives with alredy something wrong with it( I'm sure it can happen) what can you do?? surely it will be expensive to send it back

Gerry

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    With the large volume that have been sold to forum memebers there have been the odd one or two that have been faulty and in one or two cases SVS have shipped out a new driver or amp which apparently is easy to fix and in Steve Green's case they shipped out a complete replacement sub and arranged to take away the first one.

11. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that sounds good, I am getting more convinced about the PB10
    are you sure you don't work for SVS???

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I would just say that in a past life I read a book called Lies, Damn lies and Statistics........ie Stats can say whatever you want them to say. Your ears are best tools for this job. I have no allegiance. As George Michael said, "Listen without prejudice"...I have no personal aquaintance with George either :)

Gordon

13. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really need to know the output spl's too. I'd rather have -3Db/25Hz @115dB seated than 19Hz @ 90dB flat,if you get my drift..nothing kills like lack of dynamics...

Cheers,

Rob

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Ian, when does your PB-10 arrive mate?

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very True Rob

John

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hopefully within a couple of weeks as my order seemed to get mislaid

17. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian i hope you are going to give us the full rundown on the Baby SVS :thumbsup:

John

18. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well what I thought was a simple answer... I am now more confused about wich one to choose, I will have to wait and see if anyone would allow me to listen to them both. Also I have an Spl meter but how do you mesure a subwoofer output?? For what I understand -3Db/25Hz @115dB seated sounds better than
    19Hz @ 90dB flat, at least I think so

Gerry

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You have two choices - the first is to go by paper specification and independant reviews or else you should try and listen to them both and make your mind up. It is highly unlikely that any retailer will be able to offer you comparative demonstrative facilities as the SVS isn't sold via retail channels but I am sure that you can wangle an invite to listen to one at a forum members house.

Don't get hung up on measuring a sub's SPL or distortion as the most important test instrument is on either side of your head. As long as the sub has been correctly setup your ears will tell you whether the distortion levels are audible or not and what the sub sounds like at reference level.

If you are concerned that you may not know what to listen out for I am only a two hour drive away so pop up one day and have a listen to pure unadulterated, distortion free bass from my SVS and that will give you a guide to what to listen out for.

20. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gerry,

Those figures were just made up examples. What I was trying to say was that if you want to listen at a certain volume level, then you may have to give up extension to gain volume. ie: if your listening levels peaked at 90dB then the 19Hz@90dB is good to go, if you want more 'cinema' levels then the other sub would be better.

It would be easier to find some reviews with 'in room' data and measurements rather than trying to work out extension / distortion with an spl meter. You'd need a real time analyser for that.

As a ~rough~ guide, a lot of people here listen at 10dB below reference (or 'home reference' 75db against 'cinema ref' 85dB) which equates to a sub peak of111dB at seating position with the average 'all speakers set to small, xo at 80Hz' type speaker setup. If you can find a sub that does this then you'll be in the ballpark.

hth,

Rob

21. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian posted while I was typing last reply - I should've added that you should give them a listen too if you can. :)

Cheers,

Rob