Velodyne upgrade time....

TopMeTom

Ex Member
Reaction score
Was thinking,maybe a pair of spl-800 from a single cht-10?Looking for that inyerface WALLOP!

what you reckon?I dont have DD money was thinking of a couple of little uns?

Or would I be better in a room 20 footby 13foot wide,with one bigun?ooeerr missus?Like a monolith or a svs?If so what you reckons ?

Phil

philb said:
Was thinking,maybe a pair of spl-800 from a single cht-10?Looking for that inyerface WALLOP!

what you reckon?I dont have DD money was thinking of a couple of little uns?

Or would I be better in a room 20 footby 13foot wide,with one bigun?ooeerr missus?Like a monolith or a svs?If so what you reckons ?

Phil
I think two would be better than one as you can even out any holes in the sound coverage. I know that the law of bass is that it is non-directional, but this is only at the very deepest octave. Most subs have a cut off point which can make their position known when they touch the higher frequencies.

Having two can solve this problem as well as offering a much more visceral experience.
I have recently bought a velodyne Deco sub which is a 600 watts rms digital sub much like the spl-800 (but not quite as good) for £100. It has transformed my surround sound and now I want another too!
Happy hunting Phil!

Two subs are much better than one as long as you have the flexibility to position them properly in the room.

Two working in tandem will result in a better sound but you probably won't notice a huge increase in SPL. If you want to up the SPL then you need two subs with plenty of grunt!

Neil

Phil, you are so close to Kent Home Cinema, get your *ss over there and try out some of the SVS range... yes I know we do rattle on about them and it can be a bit of a :boring: but I would like to hear your opinion on how the compare to the velos.

I only ever had one decent sub so I would appreciate an unbias opinion, if there is such a thing :rolleyes: ;)

ceenhad said:
Two subs are much better than one as long as you have the flexibility to position them properly in the room.

Two working in tandem will result in a better sound but you probably won't notice a huge increase in SPL. If you want to up the SPL then you need two subs with plenty of grunt!

Neil
Putting 2 subs in the same place will give you a 6dB increase in SPL and definitely makes a big difference for me with my XLS200 stack. :)

was down at av-sales a while back demoing the svs speakers with a pb10,was very good!

Like the look of the little'uns though(plus keeps evil one happy!)

Hi Phil, I have one SPL800R in my system and it rocks, it is easily the best sub I've ever owned for both music and movies, it is small and easy to set up. I would be interested to hear your views on the effect of two SPL800Rs in a home cinema system so please post your assesment if you decide to go ahead, I was going to upgrade my center speaker to the iQ6c but if adding a second SPL800R is the better option then I can stretch my budget, cheers in advance.

Must admit I am sorely tempted to go for this route,would I be able to have say one 800 and one 1000/1200 or would both subs have to be the same?

Why not wait for the baby svs sealed 12'' unit (sb12) could save you some dosh and end up with a as good or even better product.:)

gonzo said:
Why not wait for the baby svs sealed 12'' unit (sb12) could save you some dosh and end up with a as good or even better product.:)

I would agree...definitly worth haveing a look at, although i was at a friends house yesterday and had a good listen to his Velodyne SPL1200R sub and OMG did it kick out some serious bass for such a small unit :eek:

Why is nobody suggesting a sub plus proper equalisation as a realistic alternative?

Just a thought.

Russell

Oohhh I am going to hear a Velodyne SPL-800R and SPL-1000R soon!!
I will keep you posted on my thoughts of them and tell ya wether they are worth the money!

Look forward to that dynaudio!

Would the sub and proper equalisation be a realistic alternative? How would one monolith compare?

I am intrested to hear your opinion on the suitabilty of SPL1200R for 3300 ft'3. Should I go this way or to think about acquiring two (or 3 like in Martin Logan's Depth sub) smaller subs? Any other suggestions?

One sub with equalisation is good - possibly the equivalent of two subs without equalisation within a smaller listening area. Two subs properly located and with equalisation would be even better yet.

Research has shown that the best results are obtained from 2 or 4 speakers. An odd number of subs would mean uneven enforcement either width or length wise.

HTH

Neil

Well i MAY go with another cht-10 they would be side by side.Would this be ok?

BUT I cant get the feeling one biggie(monolith) would be better,would this be so?

It is a lot more money to get 1 biggie as the cht-10's are v.good value at the moment!

In theory phil if the 2 subs are colocated you will get a boost of around +6db and a noticeable increase in performance so yes it is a good idea but i would certainly recommend some EQ either BFD or SMS-1 to keep the bass under control :thumbsup:

recruit:Thanks for that the sms1 is a bit pricey though...(how's the pj?)

cwick:how is the two better,was it hard to set-up?

The most obvious improvement is that they go lower, but detail in the bass is improved as well. I dare say max SPL is higher, but I never play particularly loudly so that wasn't really a factor for me.

Setup was no harder than the single unit mainly because I don't have a lot of placement options, so the SMS-1 is vital for me (and I'd say the improvement from proper EQ'ing was better value than adding the 2nd sub).

Is a 2nd CHT-10 + SMS-1 an option ? I wouldn't be suprised if that would give you a better result that similar funds spent on just one biggie.

SMS-1 is around £500 rrp, I think. 2nd hand prices seems to be around £350.

A BFD (around £90 new, if memory serves) is a good alternative if you're happy with the DIY measurements. Better yet would be to borrow an SMS-1, and use it to callibrate a BFD. Not sure there are many dealers who'd be up for that though !

Do you have an idea of your in room response though ? My room has a very lumpy response so EQ-ing really helps, but if yours isn't so bad then the benefits wont be so great.

Lumpy room??? well its got two reclining sofa's in it.....pj some home cinema stuff....

But seriously whats lumpy room?
Hey recruit fancy setting my subs up then?worth a pint or two(of your favorite tipple)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom