1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne - They are not mentioned much anymore.....

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SOUNDSTYLE, Aug 14, 2004.

1. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have a CHT 15 which i'm very happy with.
    A year or two back I was always reading something about Velodyne but now i'm lucky to read something once a month.
    Just wondering if there are better subs for the money these days?
    Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    No just a far less active marketing department round these parts, they arent a bad sub for they money, i personally prefer MJ range, but BK and others are all good, nice to see a happy Sub owner!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The dollar has crashed through the floor in the last year making imports much cheaper but the price of expensive American subwoofers like M&K and Velodyne have remained the same.

Subwoofers like the Velodyne DD-18 and M&K 350 are still highly desirable but at £3,000 and £2,000 respectively have much more competition now that SVS has reached a wider audience over here. The business model of SVS means that by selling directly to the end customer in dollars not only do they cut out the profits and overheads of the importer and retailer but the consumer also has the benefit in the fall of the value of the dollar.

The CHT-15 was good value at the Powerbuy price that it was sold for a year ago when the major competition was a Servo 15 if you could find one but the list price is now £835 and that is only £150 less than the SVS PB2 Plus which is in a completely different league.

There are some new models on their way and no doubt Kent Home Cinema / AV-Sales will make an announcement when they arrive

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I follow another hobby where the complaints about dollar/pound parity raise temperatures endlessly on the UK fora.

SVS has blasted some fresh air through the usual rip-off Britain theories.

Unfortunately it seems to be only in the subwoofer/speaker field that this online revolution has occured so far. Unfortunately there is still a tight (monopolistic) stranglehold on sales from other lands within some other equipment-based hobbies.

Enjoy it while you can. Viva SVS! :D

Nimby

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Its allready been said but yes,i think that velodyne make some great subs but you can get better or the same for a lot less money.At the moment i have a velodyne deco sub more or less the same as a spl800.I got this for a very good price ,i'm shure if you could go down to your local shop and buy the sub for the price i paid velodyne would have a winner , but you can't.I now have my sights on the new svs sub which by the looks of it no one else can touch for the money.Of cause that goes for the rest of the svs subs.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    SOUNDSTYLE

Velodyne have not (as other have said) gone away - though the UK Distributor decided they should take a BIG step back from the big discounting that was going on 'on line' as this was effecting the ability to sell through the normal Retail channels.

Myself and others on the AV Forums do still support and supply Velodyne - its just 'they' don't like us shouting out about it these days!

If you like the Style and the 'Self Import' Business Model of SVS they are a very good product for the money - it must be great to have Ian J and the like as a FREE sales force mind :)

In small/medium rooms the Velodyne SPL range are still hard to beat if you want an unobtrusive sub that's all but invisible in your room.

Best regards

Joe

PS US/UK Pricing is 'complicated' - keep in mind Velodyne have passed all relevant Safety requirements set out if your products are to be 'sold' in the UK market - this is not always the case with brands only available as 'self import' (that's not to say these brands don't or cant comply its just they've not undergone the relevant (costly!) accreditation process).

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    AFAICT Velodyne have always suffered in retail from not being REL. REL made the UK sub market and I have recently still come across "American subs are rubbish" bias from a local shop, this time from a B&W dealer.

TBH if it wasn't for the 'special deals' available a while back, I doubt there would have been many Velo owners here at all. Mostly REL, a few of the big brands (KEF, B&W etc.) and the odd Servo 15.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I had a CHT 15 and it more than holds it own.

I sold my CHT15 a long time ago and now (with hindsight) deeply regret it.

If I still had it I wouldn't look twice at anything else. I can still remember being physically ill with the wick turned up. Why would I need to have anything else?:)

Seriously though, it is a very good sub indeed, and unless you really don't like it, keep it.

SVS are good, but good enough to splash out again????

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    With all the free subs that Ian has been bought off with (by SVS) he must have a furry drinks bar consisting entirely of rows of Ultras! :rotfl:

Funny that none of his many visitors have ever mentioned it. :confused:
    Sworn to secrecy I expect! :blush:

Never thought of myself as a self importer. :)
    Makes me feel quite self important! :D
    I just pray that neither I, nor my I involuntarily unaccredited sub, do not spontaneously combust with the excitement. :rolleyes:

regards
    "the like"
    (FREE choice)

10. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    If something is good enough to someone then they will pay for it ;)

11. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Uh - you prefer MJ (Acoustics?) range of subs to what Velodyne has to offer?

Matt.

12. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I have succummed to the lure of the Velodyne DD 15 THX Ultra 2 certified Sub.

Whilst I pondered getting the DD 12 and the lengthy lead time to get these, I pondered on whether I can make space for the monolith that is the 15".

Having now talked the lady into it, I am ordering the DD-15 which should give me low distortion and loud bass indeed.

Infact this thing can do 106db at 0.5% distortion (not sure what frequencyu but know its very, low indeed).

I shouldn't ever ever need to change this sub until it dies first.

13. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    How much will it be setting you back?

14. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    A nice round £3k

It is maple, so it is £200 more so the sub in black is £2800.

However, it is intended to perform to a level where only a handful of subs dare to go and is one of the few subs that satisfy the THX Ultra 2 standard as a single unit.

Most need two subs for this certification and the combined cost would probably not be too far away from £2.5k -£3k and the box dimensions are pretty small H 20" x W 18" x Depth 17.75" . Very small for that performance.

Check it out here.

Enter Velodyne in the manufacturer as it only seems to work that way. Then search.

http://www.thx.com/mod/products/productFind.html

Regards

Stu