Velodyne Subwoofer Management System SMS-1

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ian J, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    An odd title to post in the SVS forum but there is method in my madness.

I have just posted brief details in the Velodyne forum of the new stand alone room equalization system that is the clever box of tricks that makes the Velodyne DD range of subwoofers so desirable.

These units are due in the UK in the Spring and Authorized Velodyne dealers and forum sponsors AV-Sales will be selling them.

I don't know who the target market is expected to be but I can see a huge potential market with existing and new SVS customers.

The higher end options will soon be a Velodyne DD-18 at £3,800 or an SVS PB-12/Ultra2 with Velodyne SMS-1 room equalization and close on a couple of grand left over.

I would guess that even my more humble SVS would benefit from this clever box of tricks and as each one will control up to three subs I can even connect up my PB-10 as well.

AV-Sales will announce the UK pricing very soon and you can all form an orderly queue behind me :)

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Would be surprised if it's cheap, the additional premium of Velodyne subwoofers is sold by many on the strength of the Room EQ system; unless it's extremely expensive, aren't Velodyne at risk of shooting themselves in the foot on this one?

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I don't think it will discourage people from buying Digital Drive subwoofers, but it will make the technology a little more accessable to people on tighter budgets.
    The DD range of subs are highly desirable for their relative compactness, very tasteful cabinets, powerful amplification, a computer controlled servo system and of course the computerized EQ function.
    People will still want the all round package, but if you can't afford it and want excellent parametric eq, you can hook your SVS, B&W, Rel, or whatever up to the Velodyne SMS.
    However, I do think Behringer may lose some profit on release of the SMS.
    The BFD is a great bit of kit but a specific sub parametric EQ of this caliber will surely have people throwing their BFD's on to the Classifieds?

SVS subs will be greatly enhanced using one of these and it will indeed be a great price for the whole package.
    I wonder how long before SVS release something similar themselves. :)

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There's a big thread on this over at AVS which is pretty interesting. I think this might be better placed in the General Sub forum though, double posts aren't encouraged to start with and by its very nature this item is relevant to everyone who uses a subwoofer so why restrict this to Velodyne and SVS in particular Ian?

Looks very interesting although it will be a bit limited compared to the DD series. The DD software can adjust the high-pass filter and directly change how much the servo motor is used.

US price has been announced as $499 so I expect the UK price to be around £450 :rolleyes:

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I don't think i will be rushing to sell my bfd, ok the Velodyne SMS-1 might be easier to use but at around the £450 its more than a lot of people pay for a sub.I picked the bfd up for £70 which does take a lot of time up messing around with settings and taking readings but it is worth it.I'm shure it will have plenty of takers with the people with deeper pockets.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'd be interested in the SMS-1's auto Eq. functions but it's hard to tell from the spec list if that works as parametric or 1/3 octave.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,462
    Agreed - what about the high-end subs from other manufacturers like the REL Studio III, for example ?

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I spoke to a local Velodyne dealer a few days ago whilst on Linn trianing who told me about the SMS-1 room correction product from Velodyne, he told me it was going to be about £250.

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Actually I might be wrong, £250 might have been the trade price. Anyway we'll find out when it arrives.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Woops! It's a good job I didn't post my "sarcy" post last night about dollar/pound parity.

Nimby :devil: