1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne SPL series?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dunkyboy, Aug 20, 2002.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, having heard much about the various Velodyne ranges of subwoofers, I went to my local dealer and demo'd an HGS-12. It was pretty impressive (though it wasn't the greatest demo as they were using a POS Naim AV amp with AVI Pro-Nine speakers - great speakers but *far* too revealing to sound decent with that Naim crap). However, the dealer also mentioned Velodyne's SPL series as an alternative to the HGS. I'm a student, so anywhere I can save on budget is a good thing! :)

I haven't heard any mention of the SPL series here, which is a pity, as it seems like it might be an ideal middle-ground between the high end (high priced) HGS's and the low-end CHT's. Before you suggest I buy a CHT, I should probably mention that my primary interest is stereo hifi listening, rather than home cinema, and I am VERY picky about how my bass sounds - it must sound JUST right or I won't be bothered (I have a pair of ATC Active 10's as my main speakers, and their sound is, to my ears, perfect - if I can't get a subwoofer that blends perfectly with them, I'm not going to bother).

So my question was - what do you think of the SPL series, specifically the SPL-1200? How do they compare to the HGS series, how much do they cost, and is there any chance of a Power Buy? Judging by the brochures, it looks to me that the SPL's have very much in common with the HGS', though with a fair bit less amplification and a plain vinyl finish (NOT an issue for me).

Also, I was just wondering if it would make any sense considering an HGS-15 for use in my hopefully-soon-to-be-new-room, which is about 5mx4m (guess) and with a suspended wooden floor (in a flat... :( ). I suspect all I need would be a -10 or maybe -12. Surely a -15 would be far too much for my room?

Anyway, cheers,

Dunc

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,
    Velodynes SPL range is a good half way house between the small CHT-8,10,12 range and their flagship HGS series.
    Personally, I feel the CHT-15 (if size is not an issue) is a better all round performer than both the tiny SPL 800 and 1000 (8 and 10 inch SPL's)
    As for the 12 inch SPL 1200, forget this and start looking at the HGS range. If you want something that is both highly musical and doesn't run out of puff, the HGS-15 is awsome. Its superb tight bass has acres of headroom.

Regards
    Eric

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Bugger, I was afraid you'd say something like that... :p

I love the HGS range, but I find it hard to justify spending 2 grand on a subwoofer, no matter how good... I mean, for that money I could get some bigger ATC's, or the ATC centre speaker I've been pining after for a year now... :)

I am intrigued you find the CHT-15 to be better than the smaller SPL's. That may be worth thinking about, if I end up deciding to buy the sub for movies alone and forget about musical subwoofery. (Which may be the case if I decide the HGS is just too much cash.) I would imagine for movies, a CHT-15 would sound superb! :D

Hmm, I suppose in the end it all depends on whether I move into the bigger room or not - which I won't find out for a few days at least. What I'd really like is a big shootout demo between a CHT-15, SPL-12, and HGS-12 (or -15?). Just to see how they compare, and be able to properly weigh them up, price/performance-wise. Unfortunately, that would mean considerable investment in me on the part of my local dealer, and their prices are CONSIDERABLY higher than one of your Power Buys... I'm not going to take that much of their time and effort if I'm probably not going to buy from them...

Oh well. I have a hunch, in the end (assuming I move into the bigger room) I'll just plump for an HGS-12 (or even -15, if I can get it at Power Buy price!), hehehe. It's just the sort of thing I end up doing... :D

Cheers,

Dunc

P.S. - Anybody have any experience with ATC subwoofers, specifically the Concept 2? At £1100 it's a lot less than an HGS, and I suspect it sounds rather fabulous (I've heard the Concept 4 and was blown away), plus it's designed to go hand-in-hand with my Active 10's.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Heard a SPL today, the 1200 I think and thought it tremendous.

I'm no bass expert, and I don't want to look as if I'm 'going against the grain', but I'd demo it for sure. It was a right little monster and certainly took me by surprise with its abilities.

5. RastaCat

RastaCat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an SPL-1200 and can vouch for it's tremendousity!!! :D

Great little('ish) subwoofer for both movies and movies alike.

RastaCat

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've a feeling Dunkyboy got himself an ATC sub a while back (this being quite an old original post).

Matt.

7. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have heard good things about the 1200 myself..and would consider one if i cant find a HGS 12/15/18 2nd hand

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hands on with the little spl = very tough/stiff driver. Needed to be with the sheer welly being pumped into it.

You're right. I think he did get an ATC sub in the end.

I was just searching out ATC posts and stumbled across this.

I have a CHT 15 and know it well now. The little beast I heard in action today was shocking for its size. My wife immediately took to it as it'd mean us being able to walk through our living room, rather than round the edges.:D

9. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yup, I ended up going for a Concept 2, which blew up randomly ( :eek: ) after about 7 months of action, and was replaced (free of charge!) by ATC with a Concept 4, which is much bigger and costlier.

The C2 was absolutely fantastic with music, though a bit small for movies in my relatively largish room (9" driver, 250-watt amp...) The C4 is much better in this regard, with a bigger box (50x50x58cm & 54kg!!)12" driver & 650-watt amp. Still very tight, clean, and dynamic bass.

It had a little trouble with the really loud & low stuff, with the driver bottoming out in the beginning of AOTC (the THX exploding crystal ball thingie is absolute murder on a subwoofer...) & the Toy Story 2 intro with the volume cranked, but I set up a makeshift subsonic filter using my BFD and that's sorted it - it now sounds very good even in those crazy scenes.

Sadly, I'm practically skint at the moment and seeing as it's worth so much, I've got my sub for sale elsewhere. Though TBH, I'm having real second thoughts about selling it... It's just so good........ :)

I certainly don't intend to upgrade it until I can afford at the very least an HGS-15 (though now I'd rather aim for a DD-15 or -18.....:smashin: )

Dunc

10. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Also might be worth bearing in mind that Velo are, i think, going to re-launch the HGS range as HGSX, or something like that, with prices lower than before. That said, not sure if they'll work out lower than the old PB prices.