1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne SPL-800 sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by itcosthowmuch, Dec 27, 2003.

1. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I recently bought a Velodyne SPL-800 sub and after only 10 days working it has died on me :(

I have been able to test another sub using my existing interconnect and power lead and all is okay.

Has anyone else experienced problems with this type of sub?

M

2. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    itcosthowmuch ,

What exactly do you mean when you said that your sub "died on me"?

Do you mean that it doesn't power on at all or that it does power on but there is no sound coming from the driver?

I've used this excellent subwoofer for about a week and had no problems with it.

Maybe the fuse inside the sub's amp has blown?

3. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi tk2001

At first the power light was on but no sound. Now though it has no power (and obviously no sound!), although the mains lead is okay as I've tested this with another sub. If I open it up to see if any internal fuses have blown, which seems more than likely, would it void any guarantee that it has?

Thanks
    M

4. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    itcosthowmuch,

If it's only 10 days old then I would suggest taking this up with your retailer rather than messing about with internal fuses etc. In fact I would go so far to suggest you demand a new one.

5. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi Dazed

Yeah those are my sentiments.......I had made contact with my retailer as soon as it when pete tong just before christmas. They were/are on the case but unfortunately are shut until the new year and now I guess my impatience is getting the better of me!

Glad to hear though, that I haven't been bombarded with replies about everyone else having trouble with their SPL-800.

M

6. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tell you what you could do. Demand a refund from your retailer, and buy my almost brand new SPL1000 which is currenly for sale in the For Sale Forum. You might even "make" money and get a better sub to boot. Bargain.

Beautiful subs aren't they, so much boom boom, so little box box. Incredible.

7. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Nice idea!

I must admit to being amazed how much these little boxes output.....even more so after it packed up and then missing out on the sofa shaking, hee hee. I tested a mates Mordaunt-Short sub on my setup to ensure my amp was still working - boy did it lack the ooomph I had been used to.

8. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My SPL 800 failed twice in two months! Both times it was internal fuses. They have now been replaced with slow blow type I believe, and it has worked fine since then.

9. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I had the same problem with my CHT- 15, so changed internal fuse from 1.6A to 2A (recommended by Redline) and no more problems.

Richie.

10. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an HGS-15 which had this same problem. One day it just went dead.

The problem was indeed the internal fuse, which I replaced myself upon receipt of a couple of new ones. These fuses can tolerate a higher current than the one that blew. I cannot remember exact figures now but the explanation I had at the time I believe was that the fuses installed were suited for US mains supply and would have been better changed to a higher rating before I took delivery. Something like that anyway.

Since the change no problems at all.

Steve.