• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Velodyne MicroVee not auto shutting off?

mwebb

Standard Member
Took delivery of a MicroVee last week to augment the TV soundbar. Quite impressed with the perfromance for the size (which was the major factor). I think I'm having an issue with the auto shut-off feature however. This isn't the usual one of them not auto powering on (due to insufficient signal). For me the sub seems to stay permanently on. I can definitely hear/feel the presence of the sub , even many hours after everything else put on standby. Confirmed this by hard powering off the sub (yielding total silence).

Any ideas please? Using the real power switch on a regular basis isn't family freindly due to the sub's location.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Try unplugging the sub cable and leaving it to auto power off. If it does it'll be some kind of static signal thats remaining after you put everything on standby thats causing the sub to think its still receiving a signal. You could also try turning all your equipment off (not the sub) to test this. If the sub does switch off when you turn everything off, its then a case of using a process of elimination to find the offending device(s). Once you know that (if this is the problem), you can work on a solution.

mwebb

Standard Member
Good suggestion moonfly.

Given the reported tendency to not wake up due to too little signal, I’d really be quite surprised to find that some minute signal from the amp on standby (the only component connected to the sub) could prevent it going to sleep. Even though I can hear it, to be fair I don’t think anyone else in the family has noticed the sub remains on. Any input signal is therefore presumably really small?

I’ll have a play around and see if I can pin it down. I presume the auto sense circuit would respond to an AC signal and not some DC trickle current? DC would be easy to check with a multi-meter.

…and if I can’t find it any other way, considering using a OneClick AV intelligent plug to power off the sub when the amp goes off.

mwebb

Standard Member
"Try unplugging the sub cable and leaving it to auto power off."

As far as can tell, the power light remains on even when the sub is in auto standby. I don't think I can tell the difference therefore between "on without cable" and standby. If anyone could confirm?

I can now however be certain that disconnecting the line cable restores silence. Next I'll try full power off of the Denon amp.

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
It may be the sub is picking up a ground loop hum and this errant 'signal' is keeping the sub awake.

I take it from your explanation the sub emmits a low level hum when it is on that you can hear from some distance away?

If this is the case it can be a pain to cure but a search in this forum for 'ground loop hum' should bring up plenty of threads with advice.

Adam

mwebb

Standard Member
Not sure if it's ground loop or not. Certainly quieter than I'd have expected, and doesn't trouble me during programme material. I just notice it when the system is off. As far as I can tell (and assuming the sub is working correctly), the signal isn't enough to wake the sub from standby, but is too much to allow it to go to sleep. Does this sound feasible?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I guess the next job is to contact your retailer or Velodyne.

Adam

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Not sure if it's ground loop or not. Certainly quieter than I'd have expected, and doesn't trouble me during programme material. I just notice it when the system is off. As far as I can tell (and assuming the sub is working correctly), the signal isn't enough to wake the sub from standby, but is too much to allow it to go to sleep. Does this sound feasible?

It is feasible, once awake a sub reacts to much smaller input than needed to wake it. When in standby, shouldnt the subs power light change colour?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom