Velodyne Microvee Class D, wind like noise from driver... Help?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by BassFreak87, Jan 24, 2017.

1. BassFreak87

BassFreak87
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Apologies if my thread is not in the right area.

I have a custom made enclosure with the Velodyne Microvee 1000w RMS module strapped to it. I bought the Velodyne Subwoofer and when I bought it, it was smashed to death literally.... it didn't work.

I plugged it in and all I got was the driver was firing forward and backwards coil hitting the magnet. Volume pots were smashed off, basically someone must have flung it out of a moving car.

I'd say 50% of the capacitors were dead, so I went ahead and replaced every electrolytic capacitor on the whole amp and 4 film caps in there including the 6 big 470uf 200v ones and a couple of resistors that were burnt up. I think someone had a go at repairing this prior to me repairing it as some of the big 470uf 200v cap tracks were torn off the board. Also changed out the 20k pot for the volume however I had to use 22k (20k weren't in stock)

Now the subwoofer works and sounds amazing. It seriously has "small amp syndrome" The power is phenomenal from this little amp.

However I am getting a faint wind like/static/hissing noise from near the cone. It's quite hard to describe. It's like the gain is set to max on a guitar amp. It's not audible from where I sit but if I get up close to the driver cone I can hear it. It doesn't increase or decrease when the volume is adjusted.

Is this normal? I have seen some people say it's normal as the gain on the amp must be on full (there is no gain adjustment) or others who have said "a subwoofer should be silent when there is no audio"

I have tried to unplug the RCAs, different (shielded) RCAs, plugging into a filtered extension, different socket (other side of house), a different 100w subwoofer which is silent in the same socket.

Does anyone happen to know what the likely cause is? or whether this is normal for a Class D amplifier?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017