1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne DSP-12 VS JBL E250 subwoofer...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by johnny_munyak, Aug 19, 2005.

1. johnny_munyak

johnny_munyak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having problem deciding on a subwoofer for my system. I have narrowed it down to the above 2 mentioned subs and I am having a hard time deciding. Both have very favorable reviews. The JBL is a 250 w RMS with a 12" driver. The Velodyne is a 12" sub with a 200 w RMS amplifier. Both are priced competitively between each other and both have comparable power. The Velodyne is a heavy sub at 60 lbs vs the JBL at 43 lbs. Normally, I wouldn’t expect this to mean anything, but that is a substantial difference.

I’ve auditioned both and they each have a lot of power. The velodyne does have some custom digital sound fields that the JBL doesn’t have, but do these sound fields really make a difference? They seem to be another *toy* for them to use as a selling feature. Most user’s end up setting it and leaving it….except for the occasional gain adjustment. Any insights would be greatly appreciated…

2. johnny_munyak

johnny_munyak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As per the answer in the thread currently two below this one - JBL isn't well known for subwoofers here in the UK which is why there has been no response.

4. johnny_munyak

johnny_munyak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough. Point taken. JBL is out of the picture.

How about an Energy 12.3 sub? Have ready many compared to the above mentione Velodyne? Energy is a well known Canadian speaker manufacturer. The 12" - 300 W sub looks very impressive? Impressive Frequency range (19-120Hz) and impressive Dynamic power (1200 W). Price is also very comparable to the Velodyne. Can't help but feel the DSP setting on the Velodyne are gimmicky....or am I wrong? I played with some of the settings and they seem very subtle.....almost trivial. It does have impressive power though.

Comments? Advice??