• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Velodyne Deco sub just died.... Help!

Oakleyspatz

Prominent Member
I recently bought a Velodyne Deco subwoofer (not the satellites) which I connected to my Denon AVR 3802 and used in conjunction with some Sony Pascal satellite speakers.
Anyway, today it just died. I mean there appears to be power there, but the sound is quite and very distorted even at full volume. At full volume, you get nothing until a really deep bass signal and then you can hear this crackling, distorted sound instead of thumping bass. I have checked the plug fuse which is ok so it has to be an internal problem but what?
The sub is fitted with three protection circuits: An overdrive circuit which shuts down the sub in the event of clipping, a overheating circuit and an underpower circuit which protects the sub from an insufficient power supply.
I have left it off for hours and still get nothing.
Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem with either this sub, or any other which may be of help. The only possible cause I can think of is I plugged the phono cable from the LFE socket on the amp to the input on the sub whilst it was switched on and there was a loud thud when the connectors touched. I know not to do this normally, but didn't realise the sub was in the on position. The sub did still work for a while after this episode so I am not sure if this is related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Probably got an internal fuse as well. Although to get to it you'll need to take the amp plate etc out and check it. Had internal fuses go on a few of my subs. I'd check that out. If it's ok then it could be the actual amp that has blown.

Oakleyspatz

Prominent Member
Jase said:
Probably got an internal fuse as well. Although to get to it you'll need to take the amp plate etc out and check it. Had internal fuses go on a few of my subs. I'd check that out. If it's ok then it could be the actual amp that has blown.
Cheers Jase, took the back off and sure enough, a 4amp fuse had blown. Bought another for 50p and it fixed it! I could tell it had blown because the fuse should have a zigzag fuse wire visible through the glass, this one had a single 'v' in the middle where it had expanded when blowing. Just thought this info may be of use to others when checking.
Anway, sub now working again and I am a happy bunny!!
Thanks for the advice Jase!:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom