1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne DD15 improvement over REL Q400e ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ttree sound, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought the REL new in October 2004 and have been more than happy with it. It plays tight and deep without any problems, but the upgraditis bug is clawing away again so my question is:-

Due to space limits, a new sub would have to fit in to the space of my existing REL up to a maximum width of 48cm. The sub that has caught my eye is the Velodine DD15. To justify this extra cost does anyone have any views on whether this would be a dramatic improvement over my REL, and can the DD15 be connected to both high and low level inputs and used at the same time?

If I were to purchase the DD15 I would then have to sell the REL, what would be a realistic selling price?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    It will be a night & day difference IMO! :thumbsup:

The Rel is a fairly low powered sub with no EQ, but the DD-15 is a 1.5kw sub with EQ to integrate it, not only with your speakers, but also your room. This is very important as bass will interact with a room far more than the higher frequencies. With version 2 of the DD software now available the EQ will auto setup the sub, making life easier.

AFAIK none of the Velodyne subs can have high & low level connections at the same time.

Mark.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The DD-15 would be a very significant increase over the REL Q400 in terms of performance even if it didn't have all of the room equalisation gubbins to tailor it to your room. The word "dramatic" can be overused but in this case I think that it would be in context.

4. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Wow, quite an endorsement for the DD15. But how can it integrate with stereo speakers in direct mode if you cannot use high and low level together?

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Not even close. Huge difference.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is one thing the Rels are very good at, i do not know if the Velodyne can run both signals at the same time, it probably could but not the same as you're existing sub and intergrate both signals like the Q400 can, saying that though the DD15 is far superior in performance terms.

7. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mark, I see that you have a DD15. Are you able to use the sub in direct mode when listening to 2 channel music, then what happens when your watching(more importantly listening) to a film/movie, do you simply switch the sub to movie mode using the lfe input only which turns off the speaker inputs?

This is important, as theres no point having a better performing sub in one (lfe) mode only at the cost of not being able to use it in direct mode. I don't believe a sub of this calibre cannot achieve the same result as a REL even though it may use a different connection method.

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    You will wonder why you thought the Rel was so good.

As an afterthought i suspect you might also come to think that there is deep, and there is deeper.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    As I stated in my first post, the DD-15 cannot have both high & low level connections at the same time. Both the inputs are always active and there is no way of switching between them.
    For this reason I have to use bass management on my MC-8 to be able to use the sub with stereo CD replay.

Mark.

10. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My SPL-1000 is similar. With my previous REL Q150e I could use it direct mode, but not with the SPL-1000. But I don't miss it, especially with the massive improvement in quality.
    I know stereo direct is supposedly the way to listen to stereo, but to tell you the truth, I've experimented 100s of times with my AVR300, switching between direct and non-direct and in all honesty I can't tell the difference ... ... maybe my hearing's not as evolved as others :D or maybe the AVR300 is just very good.

11. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Actually the Q400 is substantially better than any other Q range sub and REL's Stampede/Strata variants. The REL Storm 3 was a match and the Storm 5 is a bit better than the Q400. Just putting things into perspective, I could quite easily manage a flat response down to 20Hz in my listening room albeit with some loss of accuracy, due to distortion, at those depths.

I have no doubt that the REL Q400 will be outperformed by the DD15, especailly in terms of distortion. However, having owned one, the REL Q400 is far from a bad sub.

Russell

12. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The Q400 is not in anyway (IMHO) a "bad" sub.
    It would not be an even playing field to compare the two.

13. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for your replies. It seems that the DD15 may not be my best option as I listen to music probably more so than movies and it cannot use the high and low level connections simultaneously so I will look at another sub - REL Studio III.