• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Velodyne DD12/15 or new B&W 800

swall101

Hi all

Dilema...... Velodyne DD12/15 or new B&W 800 series with room eq?

What way would you go reasons for and against?

My existing kit is in my sig.

Thanks for your time

Steve

Timbo21

I haven't got any experience of any of those subs, but from what I've heard from other members the Velodyne DD's seem to be better than most. I would hazard a guess that most experience subwooferists would choose the DD's over the B&W, but if you can give them a listen.

R

recruit

sharger - at present the only subwoofers to offer the most advanced EQ facility is Velodyne, at one point B&W were going to bring out there own version of EQ but they have been withdrawn from there website and the subs availible are the 825 & 855 which do not have the EQ.

From my experience B&W do make excellent subs and are up there with the best especially with there flagship 800 range and i would recommend a demo if possible but IMO the Velodyne DD range are the best subs on the market today:thumbsup: I own 2 DD12's and have to say the bass from these units are awsome, Yes they are expensive but definitly worth it.....

Ian J

Banned
Rags doesn't appear to be such a frequent visitor to the forum which is a shame as his opinion would be interesting with his experience of both the B&W 800 series and Velodyne DD-15

R

recruit

Ian J said:
Rags doesn't appear to be such a frequent visitor to the forum which is a shame as his opinion would be interesting with his experience of both the B&W 800 series and Velodyne DD-15

Hopefully he will see this thread and give his opinion.....:)

ChrisNic

Something to consider would be that DD's can be picked up for almost reasonable money these days as they have been on the market for a couple of years. I cant imagine that the B&W sub (if it appears) would be any less than a new DD and there certainly wont be any on the used market for a while.

I just picked up a maple DD-12 with full 3 year warrenty that was basically brand new for a lot less than the full retail, almost sensible money.

swall101

Thanks guys...... Definately food for thought there. Guess the best thing would be to see If a dealer would be able to demo at my home with my kit.

Would (if I went down the DD route) the dealer do an intall..... by which I mean calibrate the sub to its optimum as part of the purchase?

Cheapskate if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick your DD up for?

thanks all

Member 6435

sharger said:
Thanks guys...... Definately food for thought there. Guess the best thing would be to see If a dealer would be able to demo at my home with my kit.

Would (if I went down the DD route) the dealer do an intall..... by which I mean calibrate the sub to its optimum as part of the purchase?

Cheapskate if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick your DD up for?

thanks all

Afternoon sharger

If you are after a new Velodyne DD it would be worth finding your local dealer by visiting the UK distributors Redline http://www.red-line.co.uk/.

Resellers should deliver and set up any of the DD range as part of their agreement with the distributor. In terms of a home demo you would need to speak to the dealers near to you to see whether they could do this.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Ian J said:

I know he preferred his B&W to the Velodyne....I prefer the Velodyne though :) Can't go wrong with either sub though tbh....

Timbo21

Smurfin said:
I know he preferred his B&W to the Velodyne....I prefer the Velodyne though :) Can't go wrong with either sub though tbh....

Of course, could always use an SMS-1 with the B&W.

Sharger, if you don't know already, the SMS-1 is the brains to the Velodyne DD room setup including eq. which is found in the DD subs. It can be had for around £450 I think & comes with it'sown microphone.

swall101

So how do you think a 700 series sub plus SMS would stand up against 800 series without?

thanks

Steve

rags

Ian J said:

Im here :)

Having owned a B&W ASW850, ASW825 (new range) and a Velo DD15 my ranking would be -

1. ASW850
2. DD15
3. ASW825

Although this is a highly subjective topic, in my opinion, I got "better" bass from the ASW850 than the DD15. By better bass I dont mean lower and louder as both are more than adequate in those depts, but definition, punch and speed. The DD15 is a good sub but whatever I do I cant get it to sound as exciting as my 850.

The ASW825 simply does not have the inches to compete with the other two.

rags

recruit said:
Hi Rags - Any idea when B&W are going to release there EQ version of Subs ?

No idea John. They need to get their act together as it just seems like a load of bullsh*t (delay after delay) at the moment.....

swall101

Hi Rags

In your opinion is it worth holding on for the eq or maybe going with something like the SMS paired with a B&W?

What sort of price are you looking at for a 800 series sub, and is it common to pick them up ex dem?

thanks in advance.

rags

sharger said:
Hi Rags

In your opinion is it worth holding on for the eq or maybe going with something like the SMS paired with a B&W?

What sort of price are you looking at for a 800 series sub, and is it common to pick them up ex dem?

thanks in advance.

I don't know when the eq B&W's are out. If its imminent then yes wait for them as an integrated solution is probably best. With my 850 I was using a BFD and the two worked very well together. An SMS-1 would be a more accomplished solution than a BFD.

The 855 is £2000 new I think. Re second hand 850's you should look to pay approx £1100-1200 if in good nick but the problem is not many come up for sale.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom