• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Velodyne DD Questions

Tambiman

Standard Member
Hi, in another thread i asked for help in my search for a new sub for a room of 16,5' - 26'.
Right now I' ve narrowed my choices to the Velodyne DD15 or DD18.
Few questions:
1. Anyone experience with these subs? Has the DD15 got enough power for a room of that size? (only half of the room will be used as viewing area, but I understood that I have to count the whole room for the sub)

2. Is the difference between DD15 and DD18 worth the extra cash?

3. Could 2 DD15 's be as good as 1 DD18? (in the case I find a bargain DD15)

4. Suppose I install 1 DD15 and a HGS15: is it wrong to presume that the digital equaliser corrects the DD15 in such a way that the 'holes' of the HGS15 are (at least partially) compensated?

Thx for replying!

MarkE19

1. Anyone experience with these subs? Has the DD15 got enough power for a room of that size? (only half of the room will be used as viewing area, but I understood that I have to count the whole room for the sub)

2. Is the difference between DD15 and DD18 worth the extra cash?
The Velodyne product selector (see Here) for your size of room (assumed hight of 8') say DD-12 up (have you seen the DD-1812 :devil:). I know a few owners of DD subs that have gone down from a DD-18 to a DD-15 due to the DD-18's large size. Performance of the 2 is very similar with the 18 getting slightly lower. Both have a max output of around 3,000w.
3. Could 2 DD15 's be as good as 1 DD18? (in the case I find a bargain DD15)
2 DD-15's (or even DD-12's) should outperform 1 DD-18 with careful setup (but this can be a nightmare in some rooms)
4. Suppose I install 1 DD15 and a HGS15: is it wrong to presume that the digital equaliser corrects the DD15 in such a way that the 'holes' of the HGS15 are (at least partially) compensated?
Or try 2 HGS15's and an SMS-1 which can equalise both of them (but only with the same EQ settings IIRC).

I borrowed a DD-12 while my DD-15 was being looked at (due to problems updating the software) and TBH in my room (8' x 16' x 8') I could tell little if any real difference (but being in a first floor flat I tend to not push the volume too high too often :devil:). Therefore I doubt you will be dissapointed with any of them.

Mark.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member

If two subs were connected to the amps subwoofer output, the DD15s internal EQ would not know that there was another sub playing.

You place the measuring microphone in the listening position and it simply registers the bass arriving at the mic. Although the test tone is sent from the DD, it doesn't know if the resulting sound arriving at the mike is modified by the room of any number of other subs playing.

The internal EQ of the DDs is an excellent bit of kit, but it is useless as an auto EQ if that's what you're hoping.

I'll defer to the DD owners as regards suitability for room sizes and quality of output for the purposes concerned.

In my limited experience of dual sub configurations, the advantages of two subs are only really present when they are side by side, so you may find they take up more room than one larger sub. Also, one larger sub will go deeper than two small ones as well as offer simplified setup.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom