1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne DD-15 Arrival - PICS

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by samhain, Sep 22, 2004.

1. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Well Chaps, the monster has finally arrived and I thought I would share the fruits of my investment with you.

Unfortunately it has not been switched on yet due to a house change. Don't think the foundations of my current house would cope. :smashin:

First up, delivery of a 46kg monster. Thanks to my mate for using his van to transport it.

[​IMG]

Next up...on opening the box you can see the care and attention to detail Velodyne put on their equipment. Very safe packaging indeed.

[​IMG]

Here is the driver in all its glory. Does it look stunning or what.

[​IMG]

Finally, finished with its acoustic cloth. Let the games begin.

[​IMG]

Oh and by the way. Without even testing it, I can see that the remote control is the biggest pile of poo ever. It's build quality is rubbish. The subwoofer is where it matters though and the build is exquisite.

Cheers

Stu

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice Stu it is quite alot bigger than the DD12 that i Heard ;)

Doesn't Uncle Eric usually set them up?

John :)

3. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Unfortunately I stay in the wilderness so getting someone to mine for set up is difficult, but as far as I know any authorised dealer is supposed to arrange set up. However, as it is not yet operational there isn't a problem with set up.

Edit: But a site visit is arranged for later.

You are right that it is quite a bit bigger than the DD12 but for a 15" THX Ultra 2 product the cabinet is relatively small.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I was informed that the supplying dealer was supposed to deliver and install which was why the Velodyne distributors wouldn't allow distance selling by their dealers.

Anyway I thought you had your demo at Loud & Clear so I assume that they supplied it.

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I bet your wife is happy with that samhain... :rotfl:

6. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd stick that lamp on a coaster as when you fire that beast up things will get bumpy...

nice purchase btw

7. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    With all due respect, I don't expect my purchases to be scrutinised by anyone (except my mum maybe LOL). Ian your real name is not Pat is it....Mum is that you...sorry for spending all the shopping money on a speaker !!

As I have stated I move into a new property in a few weeks, so the DD15 will not even be powered up until then.

At that point the seller (who has already stipulated and promised) will arrive at my door and set it up whilst on business in the area. :smashin:

By the way the lamp is there for effect and will be removed as soon as it's setup. The main reason I have removed the sub from the box it to try and create an optical illusion for my other half that she never even knew it was there :clap:

8. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice bit of kit.

Don't like the styling and dare I say it looks a little tacky? Perhaps its the camera shots, most times kit looks much nicer in the flesh.

It just that for £3k'ish I'd have expected 9 layers of laquered exquisite on a veneer such as a burl or crotch. Rather than a sprayed silver front and an everyman veneer finish.

But this is small fries were talking about a DD here and the performance will be decent so everything else is secondary.

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,162
    No doubt it does look more premium in the flesh, but I must say I do like the darker veneers or even - in Velodyne's case (HGS and DD), the piano gloss finish:)

Let us know what you think once you've got it setup:)

10. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Tacky finish mate, where do you buy your subwoofers from since if you have a better finish maybe that's where we all need to go. :laugh: The finish in the flesh is equisite and it is a laquered veneer. So smooth and luxurious. Not sure what you mean about the silver front, when all other subs have acoustic cloth sprayed black. :p Silver goes with the veneer are you mad ? :mad:

As for the performance being decent. Glad you think so mate. Funny how public and press think performance is just a tad better than decent :laugh: :laugh: . I must resist, I must resist but its clear to see you don't like DD's or maybe Velodyne's in general. ;)

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo of the DD12 in maple finish and one thing it isn't is Tacky, and i think the most important thing is that samhain went for the velodyne because of the sound and quality of bass that it produces to his likeing and if it has been THX ULTRA 2 Certified & there are not many out there with that certification then it is an impressive bit of Kit.

In the end i went for M&K because i liked the bass and sound of it more than the Velodyne, it is good that there is choices & because of that we all get what we want :smashin:

Just my opinon ;)

12. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Stu No doubt you will love your new DD, :thumbsup:

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Velodyne looks LOVELY!!! Very WAF :D Bet it sounds awesome too.

Would love to see it up against an SVS PC Ultra or a PB2 Ultra. I read the review of the DD18 in Home Cinema Choice this month, they gave it a Reference Status award :eek:

Where abouts are you Stu? Any chance for a listen after you move and get it set up?

14. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks Mate. Looking forward to it. It still amazes me how many really good woofers there are out there nowadays.

15. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus!

Sorry for offering an opinion.

Attitude problem or what!?!

You'll notice I said that it only looks tacky in your shots with a view that in the flesh would probably be better. As far as the 'decent' goes regarding performance, what wrong with that? Sorry if I didn't say 'its the greatest sub in the world' Its obviously what you were expecting from everyone with an attitude like yours.

I'll steer clear of any post you make in the future.

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    That's good then. We can all steer clear of yours. :mad:

If a chap invests £3K of the hard earned stuff in a choice bit of kit he doesn't want somebody with 4 posts beating him up over it. If it wasn't to your taste then so what? You didn't buy it. End of story.

Bye bye
    Nimby

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Let's keep it friendly :lease:

18. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

That's great news.

I am a friendly chap and those on the forum know that. Your post looks inflammatory to say the least. Opinions are always welcome and I have many, but after 4 posts stating that, implies you have a hidden agenda.

I wrote this post not for uniform gratification, I wanted to share with the guys what I am proud of. I will not respond any further to you. This thread will not be closed because of you mate !!

Thanks Ian, I am keeping it friendly. :smashin:

19. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I would love to hear an SVS too mate, maybe we can come to an arrangement. I live just north or Carlisle so it's a bit of a trek but I would travel to hear an SVS so why not mate.

20. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    :clap: Well said! :thumbsup:

21. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I'm all the way in Bedfordshire, which is gonna be one hell of a trek, but you are more than welcome to come and have a gander mate, I will understand if you do not want to hail the DD15 all the way to mine though :) :D but would love to hear that along side the PC Ultra :D

Tons Of Fun will probably bring Mordaunt Shorts Performance sub when it is finished, which may be in the similar price range to the DD15 (not sure about that though as prices haven't been confirmed), but it's doubtful that he will be able to make it until January.

It would be interesting to have a 3 way stand off between the three subwoofers :D I'm hoping an M&K350 owner would like to join in too.

Let me know what you think Stu, if you can wait till Jan, then we could do the big comparison test, if not, feel free to pop down before hand :)

EDIT: Hopefully the loft conversion should be finished by then too, so we will have a dedicated room to play with :D

22. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Lets keep that up oursleeves for then mate, and see what the logistics are nearer the time.

Regards

Stu

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uhmm....ah... Yes it would be interesting but i would not want to be transporting nearly 40kilos :eek: you are more than welcome to come and listen but would not want to transport :nono:

24. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I think that is the problem when trying to get a comparison of the higer end subs, they are just too damn big to move LOL! :D

heh heh, what would be great if we got all the big boys together would be to daisy chain them all up, and see if we can destroy things MUHAHAHA!! Imagine, a PC Ultra, DD15, M&K350, B&W ASW850 and an MS Performance sub all singing in unison :D

Would more than like to come and have a listen to your M&K350 recruit, PM me with your address and we can talk dates if you don't mind? Feel free to come and have a gander at the PC Ultra too if you want?

25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This type of bake-off has been suggested in the past but has never materialised. It isn't easy to cart huge subwoofers around and as we all know they are not plug and play.

Setting up and optimising each sub could take hours with each owner wanting to ensure that he has squeezed the last ounce of performance out of his own sub so that it will be shown in the best possible light.

26. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will PM you later :thumbsup:

27. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I agree, there are many factors that dictate how a sub will perform, and the home sub will have the advantage of being tuned to the room. I think we could tune the subs within an hour with all the facilities in place and ready, and using a default chart to plot any peaks/troughs.

Will be a challenge, and as long as these caveats are known before hand, we should be able to give a fair opinion on the results :). Lets face it, any of the subs mentioned above are going to rock anyones world, and all are world class, it would just be nice to hear one or two side by side :). It would be a logistical nightmare, but it might just be worth it :D

28. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if your offended too Nimby.

I was just a little miffed that the first thought that came into my head when viewing the pictures of the velodyne was passed off as biased and that I had some sort of ulterior motive.

If you read my original thoughts back, its not a slating of the subs performance and in fact I stated from the off that 'it was a nice bit of kit'. I only commented on the finish and even threw in the 'would look better in the flesh' part. Cheaper digitals camera's are notoriously bad for capturing the finer details in darker rooms.

So I see no reason as to why my post was interpreted as hostile or whatever else.

The sub would comfortably beat 90% of anything else out there, so it is a decent performer.

Personally I only own a Servo15 and the finish on that is terrible but then again I didn't pay £3k for it, so I just expected a little more when viewing the pictures. I have seen the HGS18 and that is a very nice looking subwoofer with the deep piano gloss. I'm sure the performance would make the servo 15 look silly indeed.

Infact I'm pretty Stu has owned a Servo before the Velo... am I right?

29. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

Group Hug :thumbsup:

Yip I sure did own a Servo 15 and loved it very much, although it does not look the best as a piece of furniture. But for the money excellent performance. The Servo I would rate as having better than (my interpretation of) decent performance.

I always continue to be open minded about others' quality, and indeed auditioned a wide range of quality subs before purchase and whilst it's easy to get annoyed at the popular option (SVS springs to mind), I am completely open to the fact that performance must also be a tad better than decent, but since I have not heard one, I will never slag it off (even though it wouldn't probably merit a slagging even if I did hear one).

All I am saying is that I would be happy for others and their purchase and not be intent on slating for the sake of it.

Regards

Stu

30. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    It wasn't just the remarks about the Velo's finish. But the attitude attack on Samhain when questioned about your motives. :rolleyes:

While it seems you graduated (with honours) from the Bernard Manning school of diplomacy. :blush:

Your taste in AV furniture is a very long way from maturity! :clown:

'Nuff said? :cool:

Nimby

The big Velo reminds me of the same cool Scandinavian/Modern style as the ASW 675. I believe it would be considered ultra tasteful in this part of the world. Bleached floorboards, whitened board ceilings and cool pastel walls. With spartan, white linen covered, blond beach designer furniture. Lit superbly by the cool Northern light. They wear white socks indoors. :)