Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Velodyne cooling ribs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mr.jorn, Mar 20, 2005.

1. mr.jorn

mr.jorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I recently got a Velodyne CHT-10 subwoofer. It works well. But i noticed yesterday that the 'cooling ribs' on the back where hot, even though the sub hadn't been used for several hours. It was in standby. They weren't red hot, but a little above body temperature. Is this normal? I always thought they cooled down when the sub wasn't used.
    Apprecieta any respons.

regards,

jørn.

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    They stay warm even if using auto-off :)

3. BassThatHz

BassThatHz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience with the CHT/CT range, they don’t really heat up above body temp unless you play them at 95db+ or low bass less than 30hz.

In fact, both my CHT-15 and CT-100 have been running all day long here (just checked them) and they are still below my body temp.

You could try these steps:
    -Power the unit off and unplug, let it sit for 10-30mins then check the temp (this will be your reference!)
    -Plug it in, power it on and play some music (bass heavy) on a medium setting for 5mins then check the temp. (This will be your regular/max usage temp!)
    -Hit the stop button (not mute), leaving everything as you normally do and let the standby kick the sub off.
    - Leave it alone for 10mins then check the temp again. (This will be your normal standby temp!)
    -While in standby, disconnect the audio cable at the back; leave it for another 10mins then check the final temp.

Now:
    -If the final temp is lower than normal standby then it is something external to the sub (infrasonic loop etc). If it’s higher then it’s internal.
    -If the regular usage temp is lower than standby then it is something internal or only happens in standby, if it is the same temp then the problem this external or only happens in standby.
    -If the reference temp is (equal to) or (close to) the final temp but not the standby temp then it is external.
    -If the reference temp is (equal to) or (close to) the standby temp but not the final temp then it is internal.

If you find the problem is internal disable the auto-on/standby.
    If you find the problem is external and/or the final temp is close to the reference temp then you sub is fine.