1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne CHT15 Vs REL Storm III

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by monotone, May 29, 2003.

1. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's everyone's opinion on the 2 subs?

Was really impressed with REL Storm III was tested recently... How is the CHT15 like especially as a music sub?

My set up is Marantz PS-17SA amp + SM17 power amp with B&W Matrix 803 S2 Speakers... Which is a better match?

Cheers!

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Have a search around, I replaced Two Rel Storms with a CHT-15.
    Use the search facility at the top right of your screen, and if you have any further questions after reading the posts then just ask.

BTW, both are excellent subs with Music and Movies.

3. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil

Had a chance to test the Velodyne SPL-1000 during the weekend... works better in my budget but doesn't seems to go as low as the Storm III (I think... was tested on a different set up to the REL Storm III). True?

How is the discontinued B&W 2500 like? Any idea?

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    The plus point of the CHT-15 against the Rel storm is the fact there is no distortion at all. This can sometimes give the impression that it is not going as low, however what you are hearing is clean bass without the distortion the Rel was producing.
    I have not heard the spl-1000 or the B&W 2500 so cannot comment.

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick note. What sometimes sounds like more output will often be more distortion. I would suggest in this case it definately is. As Phil mentioned, the CHT-15 has very little distortion as does the 750 watt SPL-1000.

The Rel Storm is a very decent subwoofer but is only a good USED buy. There are many subs at (and below) it's original (new) price bracket that will quite frankly knock it into a cocked hat.

6. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Uncle Eric

Was told by local dealer that the SPL-1000 is far better off musically that the CHT range... your opinion to that?

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monotone,
    I wouldn't go along with "far better".
    I've installed both ranges many times and would say that the little SPL's are slightly easier to integrate with a given systems Sats. Thats it!

8. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncle Eric,

With a set up like mine and to fill a room around 5m X 5m - and after a 'musical' sub (especially to maximise the SACD performance)... which Velodyne sub would u pick?

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a tough one as there is very little real world difference in performance terms between these two subs. That just leaves the size aspect. Otherwise you wont go wrong with either.

10. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncle Eric

so the smaller spl-1000 could produce a deeper & tighter bass compared to the bigger CHT15?