Velodyne CHT15 Mini Review.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bob007, Sep 15, 2002.

1. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was about 11:15am on Thursday 12th September when there was a knock at the door, I quickly opened the front door and there stood a delivery driver with a blank look on his face, I bet he was dreading this delivery all morning, what he had in his van was my brand spanking new Velodyne CHT15 sub weighing in at about 85lbs with the packaging, it was only the big red writing on the side saying Velodyne that I new it was the right item otherwise I would have said he was delivering a fridge, this thing was huge. :eek:

Once in the front room I only had one problem, how to get the beast out, decided to slit the top of the box take the polystyrene off the top then turned the box on it’s end and just lifted the box off, turned the sub the right way up and there it stood in all it’s glory, as Uncle Eric calls it “The Son of Godzilla”

On the back of the sub there’s:

Binding posts for input/output for left/right speaker level
    Line level input/outputs
    Three knobs, volume, crossover and phase
    High pass crossover 100Hz/80Hz
    Three chrome switches, auto on/off, video/audio and crossover in/out
    Power on/off
    Cooling fins for the 300watt amp

Had run new cables prior to delivery so it was just a matter of sliding it into position and connecting it up and switching on the power, the green light came on straight away so with my SLM in hand started to set it up, simple, 5minutes and I was ready to see if what Jase and Uncle Eric had told me was true.

First disc in was Pearl Harbour chapter 22, It was only 15/20 seconds in and the smile was already there, it wasn’t the amount of bass that was present it was my whole speaker system sounded so different, have always had speakers set to small and bass sent to my sub (REL Q50), I always thought that I was relying on the amps crossover to redirect these frequencies of 80Hz and below, so how has this sub made so much difference? The soundtrack was so much cleaner more crisp, most noticeable was the dialogue, I’m no good when things start to get technical so Uncle Eric, Jase anyone HELP. Anyway back to the planes and bombs, this beast had been woken up and was producing bass like I have never heard before, so controlled, tight and clean, what did stand out more was it does it’s job then shuts up, no harmonics (think that’s what they call it) which I have noticed in the past can sometimes carry on over dialogue or run into another scene of the movie. Turned it up to –10 just for a few seconds the smile turned into to a big grin followed by Goosebumps. Ran a couple of other discs through, The Mummy and Behind Enemy Lines, truly amazing. Time for a bit of music, don’t listen to a lot of music but have a feeling I will now, put Eric Clapton’s CD on, this must be the first time I have a heard a musical sub, again controlled, tight and clean, then gave it a CD of my sons to deal with, club music I think they call it, :D just ate it for breakfast, through all the demos and testing I didn’t hear a hint of boom.

Have always regarded my Rel as very good and to be honest have never wanted to upgrade, didn’t think there was anything out there to beat it this side of £1000, that was until Jase recommended the Velodyne CHT15, so after a few words of assurance from U.Eric and Jase I went for it. Now I have one I can see what they were saying, This sub is a class act.

Attached Files:

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want one :(.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,544
    You lucky sod Bob (I'm a poet)
    All for under £700!
    I think Uncle Eric and his power buys are a bit of a class act to be honest ;)
    Wish I had one too :(

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Si,

U. Eric's the man. :D

I'm sure he'll do a p/x with your bike. :eek: :D

5. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,544
    Tempting but my bikes faster :D
    I'll get one eventually when my inheritance comes in only problem, my mum is only 57 and being a grey hound breeder fit as a fiddle unsuprisingly have you ever tried catching one of the little sods :D

6. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Where in the UK can you get these from?

Martin

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You want us to believe that your mum had you when she was 8 - pull the other one. Anyway the greyhounds will probably inherit the estate

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have a look in the Power Buy forum where uncle eric has arranged some excellent prices for forum members.

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,544
    Did I say 57 I meant 75 :rolleyes:

Your probably not far off the mark Ian regards the muts inheriting though :(

Off topic so apologies, but if your in yorkshire fancy a night at the dogs, something to eat, drink at reasonable prices and a bit of a flutter then Kinsley Dog track aint too bad ;)

http://www.kinsleydogs.co.uk/

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... Maybe I should bring forward my date of November for one of these subs.... But then I've just spent loads on DVDs and Gamecube games >_< Gotta love when pre-orders all suddenly arrives at your door. Seriously want one of these things... Maybe my parents could loan me the cash for now <g>

11. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,536
    :D

Glad you´re pleased with it Bob.:) The CHT15 really is a cracking sub and should be at the top of your list if you´re looking at Subs in the sub 1000 pound bracket.