1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne CHT15 - mini review

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jase, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Courtesy of the Power Buys Forum this monster arrived with me late last week. Due to size, weight and limited space in my "room" (I´ll await the Pikey comments from the regulars;) ) took two to wrestle it into position.

First thing I checked upon plugging it in was for any humming, none, nothing at all, totally silent:) Must say thanks to Eric for including a cable with a european plug, a small but appreciated gesture!

The sub is large (and heavy!) so may not suit all rooms, though if it fits in mine it´ll fit anywhere, especially if the WAF is to be considered. It will easily double as a coffee table so use that as an excuse.

After a quick setup I left my system playing various cd´s to run in the sub gently. Finally got round to setting it up properly with AVIA and then let loose on the real testing. For music it sounds superb. I tried Sting - Ten Summoners Tale, Seal - Crazy (track two has some real tight, punchy bass), Moby - 18 (track 10 has fantastic room filling bass, well worth a listen), Madonna - Ray of Light and BT - Rare & Remixed. The sub handled all types of music, bass superbly, totally controlled with no nasty boom.

For AV out came several discs. The opening scene of Gladiator from the horses thundering hooves to the explosions of the catapult "bombs" all sounded great, with nice clean bass. The Phantom Menace & the pod race with all the pods starting their engines, I was able to pick out the different bass tones with ease, something which was previously jumbled together on my Rel Q200. The actual pod race itself was fantastic as well, with the various explosions, pods crashing into each other,all nice tight thuds with no nasty harmonics or boom. Also gave the Ice Fields chapter of the DTS version of Titan AE a go and had nothing but a daft grin on my face all the way through it, fantastic!

Next up was Saving Private Ryan and The Haunting (both DTS). SPR from the opening battles explosions, gun shots etc through to the end battle with the tanks rumbling into town all sounding fantastic. Gunshots etc were accompanied with a nice tight THUD, THUD, THUD. Brilliant stuff. The Haunting has some very low bass and had the room shaking suitably, also as the ghost is running round the house banging on doors the bass is amazing, always controlled, clean and never sounding woolly.

I must say a public thanks to Uncle Eric for organising the power buy for the Velodyne subs, he´s also a pleasure to deal with, totally hassle free and always answered any queries promptly. Many thanks Eric. PS The M&K´s are amazing!;)

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got enough crazy glue to put your caravan back toguether... :devil:

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    LOL:D It´s holding together, just!

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Untill the PM gets delivered and he wants free B&B for a week. :D

Now you got me thinking even more about an upgrade. :)

Will have to count the pennies.

Trust yours and Erics reviews to change from my REL, it's the missus i'm worried about. :eek:

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the review, Jase. Should recieve my sub end of August. Nice to deal with somebody who knows thier stuff.

Rob.

6. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How much better is one of these beauts than the Paradigm PS-1000 that I have?

Thanks, Matt

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Jase was happy with his REL Q200 until he bought this one. Hopefully that answers your question in a round about way.

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I´d say there was a significant difference. My old chap has a PS1000 (now paired with my Q200) and the CHT15 has much cleaner, tighter bass than the both of them. Having said that, the PS1000 is a good sub for the money. As Ian has said, I was happy with the performance of the Rel, got tempted by the Velodyne and I´m very glad that I bought it.:)

9. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase,

What's your in room response like? Is it as flat as you had the Rel?

I tried to upload my graph but couldn't gave up and realised the only way I was going to get rid of my room anomolies was to get a BFD, all plugged in and waiting for a free day to play :D

I guess this'll be deleted now as a highjacker of a thread :clown:

Steve

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Not tried the test tones to be honest, gave the sweep test on AVIA a go with a sound meter and it seems pretty flat. The Velodyne is in the same position as the Q200 was, seems to be the best place for it (lucky really as it the only spot it´ll fit!:rolleyes: :D ).

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase,
    Glad you like it. It really is a superb sub. My belief is that this mid price 15 incher actually performs better than M&K's 350 sub. Considering the Velodyne is one third of the price of the M&K350 makes it even more incredible. One point I would like to make is that the CHT-15 has fully variable phase which makes it a cinch to set up well.
    Happy earthquaking
    Eric

12. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wearing my helmet, just in case the roof comes down, with everibody buying those mean subs... ;)