1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

velodyne cht15 and b&w 675m sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by malariaboy, Feb 13, 2003.

1. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    any comments on these subs would be very helpful, i would like a good sub for movies and music

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    USe the search facility - you'll find loads of chat on these, Add in MJ acoustics pro for good measure

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Malariaboy
    The asw675 is a excellent sub for its size ie10''driver smallish box very musical too.The velodyne is much bigger with a 15''driver which is servo controlled so if size[ big black box] isnt an issue i would say go for the cht15 imo.
    ps i do own asw675 sub.
    Gonzo.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As good as the ASW 675 is it's no match for the CHT-15, as Gonzo said, it's all down to aesthetics, women tend to prefer the smaller boxes (no double entendre jokes please :devil: )

Phil

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have heard the CHT15 and can say that it is very impressive indeed. It is certainly more capable than the B&W 675 but at the expense, as Gonzo said, of a larger cabinet. Having said that, the 675 is itself no slouch and if I were to buy a "compact sub" then the B&W would be it.

As it stands, though, my choice of sub would be a Paradigm PW2200 (one of which I have just bought :) ). I couldn't justify nearly £700 for a CHT15 and so l chose the Paradigm. The PW2200 is a fantastic sub, better than the B&W, my old Storm III and nearly as good as the Servo 15, IMO. At £350, the sub represents excellent value for both music and movie material.

Russell

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps one day others will realise the tour de force that is Paradigm, coupled with RS's aggresive pricing they are unbeatable. The PW2200 has had excellent reviews, I'm stunned to see it going for only £350 :eek:

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Can I be cheeky and ask russraff where you purchased this Sub as I have a similar budget and was think that the Paradigm PW2200 was out of my price range. I was originally tempted by either the rel quake (although everyone in this forum seems to slag it off) or the B&W asw600. This would complement my current system being:-

Sony DVP-NS900V SACD/DVD Player
    Denon AVR 3802 AV Receiver
    B&W LCR60 S3 centre (bi-wired with VDH Teatrack)
    B&W DM602 S3 Front L+R (bi-wired with VDH Teatrack)
    Mission M7C1 rear centre
    Mission M7DS Rear Surrounds

thanks

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you import the ONLY place you can buy Paradigm gear is from Richer Sounds.

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    As Apocalypse said, the exclusive distributor of Paradigm speakers is Richer Sounds. Don't let that put you off, as Richer Sounds sell Paradigm speakers for ludicrously low prices. I bought a pair of Paradigm Reference front speakers for £250, while in the states they were selling for $800.
    Anyway, don't try phoning your local branch as they'll say they have none. Rather phone the mail order line (found on the left hand side of here ) and specifically ask for the PW 2200. They had three in stock two weeks ago, and considering the flaming hoops people need to jump through to buy Paradigm kit, they're probably still there.
    In terms of performance, the PW2200 will most certainly be better than the REL and B&W products you mention. If you need a small sub, then keep well away from the Quake as it really isn't very good. The Quake was released to compete against the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 and I would rather buy the latter or a B&W 675 (should budget stretch that far) rather than a Quake.

Russell

10. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    gonzo did you listen to a cht 15 m8 up against b&w

11. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi malariaboy
    I didnt listen to the cht15 as i wouldnt have been able to put it in my lounge otherwise i would have brought the velodyne cht 15. The B&W is one of the best small subs that i have heard but if you can get away with the size of the cht15 BUY IT cos i would .
    Hope this helps.
    Gonzo. ;)