1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne Cht Range Subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by DodgeTheViper, Oct 6, 2002.

1. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    Hi,

I have now parted with my M&K K-9 sub, and i am on the hunt for a new sub.

I have been contemplating auditioning REL subs to start with, then M&K again, and taking it from there. But, after reading these comments on Velodyne, i'm not so sure now. These babies sound the business. But, what to go for CHT10, CHT12, or CHT15 ?

It is a bit scary buying blind, without a demo. But, saying that, how many demo's have people had and then took their new purchase home, only to find it sounded different in the demo room ?

So which one ?

Could you guys who have purchased one of these babies let me know of your set up, equipment, room size, how the sub sounds, and your feelings, experiences.

Many thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    Kev

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    System:
    Denon 3801
    Polk Audio RT600i's front L/R
    Polk Audio CS400I centre
    Polk Audio RT 25i's surrounds
    1x Tannoy MX2 surround back. Due to be upgraded to Polk Audio RT25i in the future.
    Velodyne CHT 15 sub

Set Up:
    Speakers set to small, use the internal xover on the amp and sub.

Room Size:
    Approx 8mx6m ceiling 3m

Done a mini review a few weeks back on the CHT15 here. If your budget can streach to the CHT15 you will be rewarded with tight punchy bass with not a hint of distortion. ;)

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    System;
    Denon 3801
    Boston THx LCR**SOLD
    Boston THX rears**SOLD
    Velodyne CHT15

Room 14ft x 13.5ft x 10ft (LXWXH)

I had only a little time with the Velodyne with my Bostons before they went yesterday.CHT15 arrived Friday.

To give you some background I was using Two Rel Storms (MK1+3) in the room. Whilst Rels are quality, it didn't go very deep without distortion getting in the way, or freq cancelling eachother out.

Velodyne CHT15 on the other hand, straight out the box, and only set up by ear, was astounding! Copious amounts of bottom end, no distortion, and no missing freq's. I will do a write up on my conclusions once i have used it a few weeks and I get my new speakers in place. BTW I am just using an old pr of Kefs for music only at the moment(till i get the upgrade done), and it took very little to intergrate the sub with them, and wha a difference it makes!.

I have heard REAL bass before and until now struggled to reproduce it in my Cinema room, No such problems now!

Highly recommended.

4. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Mozzer,

It might be worth giving Richer Sounds mail order line a ring and seeing if they have any Servo 15's left? Had mine for just over a week now and it's probably been the biggest home cinema eye/ear opener since I bought my Barco 800 CRT projector. Goes deep and loud with minimal distortion due to it's servo technology. Mindblowing, and all for £525 including delivery. Just a thought.

Cheers

Dave

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Got my CHT 15 today, went and bought a 3m RCA cable just went to connnect it up and its too short by about a foot :(

Attached Files:

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your room situated at the Pentagon :eek: :)

Never seen a room with that configuration before.

7. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Mozzer,

Now you have parted with that tiny small displacement sub, go for the biggest unit you can afford cos you have the space mate.;)

Thanks Kev....

I think you have some auditioning to do!!

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    Thanks Lennyz,

The CHT15 would be great but, have you seen the size of it !!!

I'm seriously contemplating the CHT12, bit smaller in size and price. I can audition all manner of subs but, the Velodyne's are a problem to find which, is a bit of a concern.

Cheers
    Kev

9. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would take it back, if you paid for a 3m lead you should get a 3m lead.

10. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I think what he meant was that he thought a 3m lead would be long enough but then discovered he needs another foot for it to connect.
    I might be wrong though.;)

11. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you. Couldn't he have moved the sub a foot closer then, don't think they do a 3m.1ft lead.

12. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Perhaps you guys can help me out.
    I don't know much about AV so if I start babbling on about something which doesn't make too much sense then you know why.
    I've mentioned this in a few other threads but have had no answer so I'll give it a go here.
    I have my system (a bit old now) connected in this way:

Denon 2700 surround amp controls the centre (Monitor Audio CC750) and rear speakers (MA silver 3).
    Arcam alpha 8R and Arcam alpha 8P amps control the main speakers (MA 703PMC).
    I have the hi level connection connected to the REL Q100E from the binding posts of the Arcam alpha 8R and the low level connection connected to the REL from the Denon 2700.
    I have the speakers set to small and all bass going to the subwoofer (using the Denon menu).
    I wanted seperate amps just to listen to music for the better sound quality (the Denon did not sound as good).
    The salesman who connected it all up for me said the only way to do this is the way that it is set up above, and it works fine, as I have volume control for both hi and low level connections.
    I'm hoping someone can explain how a surround amp and subwoofer work.
    What I want to know is if I purchase the CHT-15 which only has a single volume for both hi and low level will it affect the sub by sending two lots of bass to it - one from the arcams (hi) and another from the Denon (low).
    Or because I have my speakers set to small and all bass going to the sub then when I watch a film there will be no bass going to the main speakers only meduim to high frequencies which means that no bass will be travelling into the sub from the arcams.

I hope someone understands my dilemma: I don't know how the CHT-15 will react as I don't know what will be happening to the bass: Will any bass be coming from the Arcams to the sub.

Thanks

Another question concerning the CHT-15:
    When setting this sub up for movies and music, this has to be done seperately ofcoarse by playing part of a movie and getting it right for that and then playing some music and getting it right for that.
    Does mean that each time you either watch a movie or listen to some music that the sub has to be adjusted each time to the required settings, as surely there will be a difference for a movie and music.

13. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    Is there the slightest possible chance of sticking to my original post, without having it hi-jacked !!!

14. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Sorry:blush:
    I've been trying to get an answer about my setup for a few days because I'm interested in getting the CHT-15 and have posted on other threads but have had no answer and has this thread was all about the CHT range I thought I would ask.

I'll start my own thread.

15. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    mozzer

Go for the CHT 15 it really is superb, big but superb!

SOUNDSTYLE

If you have the processor set to all speakers small, all bass to sub then you don´t need the high level connection. The low level will handle everything i.e all bass below the cutoff frequency (80hz). For music just listen in Stereo mode.

If you are using any DIRECT mode then, Yes, you´ll need the High Level connection and you would switch OFF the SW channel for low level, assuming your Denon processor allows this. I assume you´re using the Arcam for any analogue source, CD etc? You´d still need the High Level connection in this case as well.

The way to do this on the Velodyne would be have them both connected but you would have to make a note/mark on the volume level, one for music, one for movies and also switch in or out the subs internal crossover.

For Movies I would leave the crossover ignored on the sub (controlled by your processor, all speakers small etc) and when you want music just flick the switch and it will use the subs crossover at whatever setting you have it. Then just adjust the volume to the relevant mark and thats it.

16. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    Thanx Jase,

The 15 is quite a price hike from the 12, and given it's size, would perhaps limit where it may have to be placed in the room.

The room measures 17'max x 15' max. as it goes into a bay window.
    I'm wondering wether the 12 would still give me a' THWACK '
    as you might say !

Cheers
    Kev

P.S. I'm taking that long to decide it'll probably get discontinued !!!

17. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Kev

I don´t think you can go far wrong with any of the Velodynes whether it´s a CHT10, 12 or 15. They all perform superbly, I can vouch for the CHT15 as can Bob007, THX1138 and JSW, there are plenty of CHT10 owners as well, all very happy with their respective subs.:) There´s no reason to doubt the CHT12 either.

Just a matter of choosing which one suits you.:)

18. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Have moved sub to centre between fronts for testing as my RCA cable was too short and I don't want to get a 5m one as when I get a rack soon the sub will be positioned in the bay.

Attached Files:

19. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Same pic without flash

Attached Files:

20. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    First thoughts on my new CHT 15

CLEAN

Awesome, its absoloutley clean and blends in so well with my MS 906's and if it wasn't for the fact i know my MS can't produce the bass that the CHT 15 can that I know its on ;)

I love it and while sat here listening to music and looking at the bay window i'm thinking 2 CHT 15's would fit there nicely with an av rack in the middle ;)

Anyone got 2 yet ?? :)

21. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Some people are never happy.:rolleyes: :p

22. JSW

JSW

Products Owned: