velodyne cht-15 and b&w asw675

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sparkymarky, Jul 6, 2003.

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I know that many comparisons have been made between the two, but if the b&w asw675 states it can go down to 22hz at -3db and the velodyne cht-15 goes to 23hz, then is the B&w not a better sub considering the size difference?

Just asking because if the B&w performs at least the same then i would prefer it over the much larger velodyne.

Any opinions would be appreciated

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't owned or demoed any of them... I have also spotted the Velo's "poor" spec... however someone mentioned this could be in a anoneic chamber, unless the B&W was also tested in the same conditions (anoeic chamber) then it might have been tested in rooom, which boosts LF corner & output.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It has been mentioned a few times here that subwoofer manufacturers use different test methods to produce their figures so any comparisons should be taken with a pinch of salt if using statistics only.

There is no substitute for real world listening with your own ears and although you state that "many comparisons have been made between the B&W A675 and Velodyne CHT-15" I am not so sure that they have as I don't recall having seen one.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Sparkymarky
    Ive just sold my asw675 sub which i bought instead of the cht-15 sub, because of the cht-15 massive footprint i couldnt accommodate it .Iam sure the velodyne would out perform the 675 due to its sheer volume size plus it is servo assisted having said that the asw675 is a great sub (I owned the relq150e prior to the asw the rel being very inferior) it also looks good so if you dont mind losing a small bit of performance iam sure you would be very happy with the b&w as i was.Only reason i sold my asw675 was that i can fit the svs20-39pc+ in the same foot print and according to what ive read will easily match the velodyne in performance stakes.
    Hope this helps Gonzo.

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Yes - and I am the guy who bought Gonzo's ASW675. Spent most of last night playing about with it and I am very happy with it (once you get the positioning right!!). I have it in room measuring 19 by 17 and the volume control is set 1/3 of the way up. It can really push hard if need be and produces tight controlled bass. Little stormer.

Gonzo -
    I seem to prefer the sub on EQB setting - which one did you use and what differences did you find between the two ?

Also thanks very much for yesterday - the product was in excellent condition (as described) and your hospitality was exemplary.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The ASW675 was a five star performer in the magazine reviews that I read.

7. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Can comment on comparison but another recomendation for the ASW675 here. I recently changed to it and have found it a great performer. It also looks great which is unusual in subs!

8. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated. Difficult choice!

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Whats the size of the room?

10. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    its 15 ft by 12.5 ft (with sliding doors into a conservatory at one end). Will be moving at end of year to hopefully a house with a bigger lounge though

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    With a room that size I would definately for the B&W out of those 2. I have the ASW2500 which is very similar, great little sub.

12. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Rags
    I kept eq on A because i listened to music alot this setting gave better dynamics the B setting is for movies its meant to go deeper in this mode but to me A gave the most punch.
    Iam glad your pleased with the sub not that i thought you wouldnt be and like i said if your after a small good performing sub you could do alot worse than the asw675 and get a rel q150e like i did before getting the asw675 ,you live and learn.
    Cheers Gonzo.

13. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    having now just read up on the servo15, gonna go for that first (because a lot cheaper at £499) if can't get one then second choice will be a b&w asw675 (perfomance and size) and third the velodyne.
    Many thanks guys, much appreciated.