1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne CHT-10R setup?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dinoprada2003, Jan 14, 2005.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Hi,

Just got my first ever sub and I need a bit of help setting it up please :)
    First off is settings on back of sub,

1.) Low pass cross over shoud it be set to direct with my Yamaha 1500?
    2.)Auto on/off active/inactive?
    3.)High pass crossover 100Hz or 80Hz?
    4.)Sub Volume? (currently as shipped to me)

Im using my yamm's YAPO to set it up, however I do have DVE and a SPL meter if thats a better way? when using the YPAO is sets crossover freq to 120Hz is that correct? it also counts my rears as "small" but they are not sat's so again is that correct? I noticed that when I took it out the box and just plugged it in bass was much louder and deeper than after the YPAO setup?

Any advice very much appreciated :smashin:

D.

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    dinoprada2003

I have the CHT12-R and in answer to your questions:
    1) I have the input x-over as Maximum, or Direct, allowing my processor to do all the filtering. There should be no difference with your Yamaha.
    2) Auto switch on is set to on. The sub is very sensitive and rarely switches off if there is material playing.
    3) X-over is set to 80Hz. I would not use anything higher as the bass from a sub then becomes too obvious.
    4) I don't have an auto setup routine, so I reduced the volume until it was at minimum (light flashes twice). After that, I increased the volume until I could hear the sub then turned it down a notch.

It sounds like the auto setup routine is getting a bit confused. use your SPL meter instead to get better results.

Hope this helps,

Russell

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why not switch the auto switch off as I did on my SVS. I'm not sure that they serve any useful purpose but you read quite a few complaints about them.

Rears as small is fine as you may well find that the subwoofer can handle the <80Hz stuff better than the speakers can anyway.

I would even try the main speakers as small too as many people prefer the sub to handle the lower frequencies rather than the speakers themselves.

4. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Hi Russell & Ian,

First off thanks :smashin: This is what I did, using the amp's test tones I set each speaker to output 75db via my SPL metre, Than I turned sub volume to off and increased it till I could just hear it via the amp's test tone, Then using my amp's +/- I set sub so needle on SPL is 75db same as rest of speakers.Is this correct?

And should I leave YAPO cross over to 80hz? as this hasent changed becasue of my manual seup via SPL.

Bit confused still :confused:

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You seem to have set it all up correctly but if this is your first sub it will take a while to get it just right. It isn't unusual to take a few days or even a couple of weeks tweaking until you have it sounding optimum. Also don't forget that it will loosen up so the sound will change and hopefully improve as all the parts bed down.

6. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Hello Ian :D

Thanks for the super fast response as well :) Ok I just spun Armegeddon on the second chapter where the metorites start to land, and it doesent have hardly any sound as opposed to when I first took it out the box and just plugged it in? So I cranked up the volume 3 or 4 times on the sub, till I could hear the thuds and explosions.Is this correct or should it be making loud thuds and bangs on the setting I used to set it up via the SPL? going to set fronts to small as well and try that :smashin:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I often find it easier to start off with music rather than explosions. Try and find something with a known quantity of bass and see how that sounds. You will be looking more for depth and precision than any extra volume. If you are lucky once you have found the right level with music it will also be the same for films.

You need to get it right by Saturday night so that you can hear every detail of the ball thudding into the back of Manchester City's net off the end of AJ's boot

8. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    So is it "normal" to up the volume on the sub or should I just leave it at 1 up from it's lowest setting as I did when using the SPl to calibrate to 75db? Sorry for all the questions but as iv'e never done/heard a home-cinema sub I dont have a refrence to draw from :)

BTW amp is set to 0hz as refrence while sub is set to +9 to achievce 75db at 2 presses on the button from the subs min volume.

Eaglesssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!! are you a fan than Ian? :smashin:

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The gain on the sub may be a bit too low at 1. Try setting it at between one quarter and one third of the way round on the sub and trying again to calibrate it at 75db with the SPL meter.

I used to work in Croydon and have followed the Eagles since the mid seventies (when they were The Glaziers). Don't get to see them so much now that I live in the Midlands but I saw them at Birmingham a couple of months ago and will be going to WBA on 1st Feb

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have my volume set to 4 presses of vol up button (for those that don't know, there is no "knob" for volume on the CHT-R range). This underpins my front main speakers, which are set to small, nicely with music. As Ian said, use a disc with some deep bass. Massive Attack Mezzanine is the album I use to set subs up.

One very important thing I should have mentioned before: The CHT-R range takes at least 4 to 5 days to run in, and that was after leaving the sub on for 48 hours straight playing the above album. Don't even try to set the sub up properly until it has run in.

Russell

11. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Ok russ, thanks I'll reclaibrate in 4 days then,

BTW I found out how to set volume back to default 35/100 it's in the manual you just press 8 buttons in combo. :)