1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne CHT-10R - Opinion Required on what to test it with.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by johnnycab, Mar 7, 2005.

1. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have listened to the REL & MJ Acoustics range of subs. Although, I love the middle of the range, meatier ones in the REL range i.e. Strata, Stampede and Storm - I know they are not for me, at least for the present!

A range of subs, that I have not listened to, at all are: Velodyne! However, I am settling on a CHT-10R due to the front firing design - and it is begining to grow on me, the more I read about it. As everyone mentions they are more musical and can perform with action movies as well. Also, I live in a flat which has neighbours on every side, and a downward firing sub would not be a good option.

I am most probably going to listen to couple of Velo's this week, and need advice on what to test it with i.e music and movies...

Cheers

2. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
  3. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Finding Nemo, Fifth Element and Master & Commander are some of my faves :thumbsup:

5. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saving Private Ryan DTS, resident evil apocalypse DTS, Top Gun DTS

6. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers!

I got my Velodyne CHT-10R in Cherry today. It is not hooked up yet, but I did get around to demo it. It is quite an excellent looking subwoofer, and sounds great too!

The demo was with B&W all round and then switched to PMC & MK (rear) driven by Arcam kit CD/DVD/AMP etc. The subwoofer sounded really good with both set of speakers! The stuff thrown at it was:

LOTR
    Fight Club
    Lion King SE
    Layer Cake
    Crouching Tiger..
    Sade
    Tribe Called Quest
    EBTG
    Oakenfold in NY
    Pink Floyd Dark Side SACD

I will hook it all up tommorrow, and start to revisit my collection. I do not have Fifth Element SE - but I am definitely going to go and get it!

7. Iceman12

Iceman12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the dvd movies U-571 and We Were Soldiers.

8. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Some good Subwoofer tests.

Blade II - Down in the sewers with the UV grenades
    Pearl Harbor - most of the attack (best bit - sinking of the Arizona)
    i.ROBOT - from when Sunny retrieves the Nannits
    Toy Story - When Woody is a lost toy at the petrol station (lorry arrives)
    Behind Enemy Lines - trip wire scene
    Finding Nemo - when they are in the Whale
    Men in Black II - most of it.
    Saving private Ryan - defending the bridge

For the best bass extension ever!!!

Fantasia - When the whales start flying. (The house should shake - you can't beat a live orchestra)

Regards

9. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hayes - Thanks for the tip on Fantasia! - I will have to find my copy of Toy Story, as it will serve a multiple purpose of testing my Pio screen too!

I have been through some of the DVD's mentioned i.e. Blade II, Finding Nemo, I Robot and Saving Private Ryan...the sub sounds wonderful! I am extremely glad to have got it, even though there was a shortage of reviews. I am still getting used to it, and playing with all the features!

However, I have also been testing the sub with some music, it sounds a bit 'boomy' in certain program modes - probably need to adjust the crossover and the amp. Also, the sub seems to go into standby or turns itself off - after a while...I thought this was probably due to the fact that, when no LFE signal was going to the sub - it went to sleep, and then woke up once it was fed a bass heavy track...not so!

I am still troubleshooting.

Cheers

10. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Try a 'Y' lead like the QED Y-SW that we use, it splits the signal into two which means you can use the left and right inputs which means the gain is raised on both so the sub doesn't need as much signal to activate it and keep it turned on.

In terms of music and sub compatibility, the byproduct you describe (boominess) is sometimes more commonly produced from ported enclosures as you can get peaks and dips in the response curve around the tuned frequency of the port!!! Try moving it away from the wall, facing the wall, facing the corner, try different areas of the room, you will be surprised at the different sounds you get the sub. Depending on the front speakers you have, you might try a lower cutoff at may be 60 or try two different cutoffs and get a two step slope i.e. set the amp to 80Hz and then play with the sub cutoff at around 60-70Hz, you will then get a 12dB slope from 60Hz and then 24dB slope from 80Hz (depending on the slope of the sub, example 12dB slope and amp 12dB slope)

Also with the CHT-R range, on the remote you have got phase, remember to try these as it's not a gimmick thing it does make a difference so tray the four phase shifts.

With all this testing it is best to have a friend or brother shifting the sub about so you can here the immediate difference.

Alot of people think you can throw a sub in the corner, set the frequency on the amp and away you go. It can take alot of time to get a sub to merge seamlessly with your main speakers (which is the idea) when you listen to music of movies you shouldn't notices the sub, in 5.1 the sub should merge with the rears as well as the fronts and that is where most peoples systems don't work (most people think i) the rears are only for little effects ii) that there isn't any full range effects at the rear. Try Saving private Ryan when they are in the church at night resting, in the back ground behind you miles away is shell fire and bombs going off with subtle deep bass from the rears.

Anyway, I've rambled on and I need to get some work done.

Regards

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I used a y-splitter on my sub - and it sounded worse...other users (on another av forum) also recommend that you don't use one...I agree with that, but as always, best to test yourself!

12. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hayes,

Thanks for a detailed explanation. I did play with the phase shifts - and got a varied response from different software. Although, my front speakers can handle a fair bit of bass, I also tried the 'Direct' mode on the sub to see what happens. All cut-off points are set to 80Hz at present. However, I will definitely try the various combinations, you have mentioned.

I will persevere, keep listening and then modifying as and when required - until it is right!

Cheers

13. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Also, bere in mind that the sub is not run in yet, The CHT-R8 in demo room3 took me a good 100-150 hours of running in before I took any notice of its response, then I sat and set it up. It is now along the side wall rather than front left corner!!!

14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    once your sub has ran in, it will really sing...mine does!! yahoo!