1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne CHT-10 vs. CHT-12 for rock music

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by JPowers, Jun 28, 2003.

1. JPowers

JPowers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I found this forum when doing a search for information about the CHT-10, and the glowing reviews of this sub made my decision to buy it that much easier. Well, unfortunately, the place that I had sent the money to told me they are currently out of stock on this sub and gave me 3 options...I can get my money back. I can wait a week or 2 for new stock to come back in. ....Or because of the inconvenience, he offered to give me a CHT-12 at his cost ($316 US dollars).

I'm not a fan of sloppy, boomy bass, and would be using this sub for a combination of home theater and music. Music is more important to me because the setup I have now already sounds good to me in the small room it's in. Believe it or not, Paradigm Studio 20s put out a decent amount of bass, but obviously it's not as good as a dedicated subwoofer. I don't listen to rap. My musical taste is strictly rock. A Canadian band called Rush is my favorite (or for you "favourite") band, and if you knew anything about their drummer you'd understand that nice tight, accurate bass is very important to me.

My obsolete, yet clean sounding system:

Denon AVR2500
    Audio Control C-101 equalizer
    Paradigm Studio 20 (amazing little speakers)
    Paradigm CC200 center channel
    Paradigm Atom rear surrounds
    etc.

I realize that the CC200 and the Atoms are not a perfect acoustic match for the Studio 20s, but I can't afford to upgrade right now. Anyway, I'd really appreciate some of your opinions here. Should I wait a while for the CHT-10 or take the CHT-12 now for $40 more? Thanks for the input, and great forum!

John

2. JPowers

JPowers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    39 views and no one can offer an opinion?:( Please don't hate me because I'm an American! I didn't vote for Bush, and don't drive around with American flag stickers on my car. I'm normal, trust me.:p

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncle Eric is a Velo dealer who frequents these forums, he would probably be the best person to give you an opinion on this :)

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Neil Pearts drums sound great on my CHT-10. I'd try and find somewhere to demo both and see if the sound is similar and that the difference in cost is worth it.
    PM Uncle Eric I'm sure he'd be willing and able to comment on your dilema.

5. JPowers

JPowers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input! I became cross-eyed looking through all the CHT-10 comments on Uncle Eric's powerbuy and it seems like that's what I'm looking for. I hope he doesn't mind me sending him a PM, considering he's probably bombarded with these things and I'm not even a potential customer, but I'll give it a shot.

sticker, do you live in a castle or do your neighbors like bass as much as you do? (Paradigm Servo 15 (x2) )

Hawklord, it's good to know that there are Rush fans over there! I wanted to demo these subs, but the only local place that sells these are making way for new inventory and the sales people are useless. (It's a big chain store called Circuit City) I waited around for help so I could have a listen, but everything was a floor model that had been abused. I looked at the back of the CHT-10 on display and the Monster Cable had broken off inside the sub! I pointed this out to the salesperson and he didn't seem to care, so I walked out and found a much better deal on the internet. Speakers never sound the same when you get them home anyway. I prefer to do as much reading as possible and get other's opinions. Thanks again!

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm sure Eric won't mind, he's a really good guy who goes out of his way to help people on this forum.

Castle, hey no, just a small county estate............NOT
    :laugh:

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Surely for 40 bucks, it's a no brainer - go for the bigger sub!! :D

Seriously, though, knowing Velodyne, the 12 isn't going to do anything worse than the 10, so all you'll get is deeper, more powerful bass. :smashin:

Dunc

8. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thoroughly impressed with the musicality of my CHT-15, no boomy, plodding bass that's for sure!

Go for the CHT-12, I'm sure you won't regret it.

9. JPowers

JPowers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't checked the forums for a while, so I didn't get a chance to respond. Uncle Eric said the decision to buy the 12 was a no-brainer and that's what I intended to buy, but the person I was buying from kind of made me feel guilty for wanting the 12. He said he wasn't making any money on it, and because of this he hoped I'd remain a customer and recommend his business to friends, etc. I'm too nice, and a sucker, even though the deal I'm getting on the 10 is nice and that's what I originally intended to buy. I took the 10 out of sympathy for the guy. I'm so pathetic! I should've taken the 12, but I'll let you know how the 10 sounds when I get it. Thanks again for all the advice that I didn't take! :suicide:

John

10. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, Are you sure you didn't vote for Geoge DUBBAU:D :D

Enjoy the Velo

Regards
    John

11. JPowers

JPowers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's pronounced DUMBya. DUBBAU sounds French. We're supposed to hate the French because they disagree with Dumbya, remember? No more French fries, French toast, French poodles, French kissing, etc. ...Just replace the word "French" with "freedom" before each of those, wave the American flag and this is supposed to help our economy. It's that simple!

Anyway, I'm positive I didn't vote for Mr. Greedy oil baron puppet. My chad must've been hanging or something, so the not-so-supreme court possibly threw my vote away. :rolleyes:

John