1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velodyne CHT-10 low level connection

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by xtremecool, Dec 19, 2002.

1. xtremecool

xtremecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would just like to thank Eric for such a good deal on the sub, it arrived today but could only start playing with it this evening, and I now have a question.

Can anyone with a CHT-10 tell me if they have wired up both of the low level inputs up using a Y connector as per the instructions?

I have been playing some music through it and at first I thought where is the bass as I thought there was nothing being added. That was until I turned off the sub and then it was as if someone had pulled the plug and all the bass had flowed away. :)

I am just about to try Gladiator, T2 & U571 to see how it has added to the films, but do you think a Y-connector is really needed, so should I just up the LFE channel output to compensate?

Cheers

Jon

2. xtremecool

xtremecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also forgot to add, how long did it take before it was run in properly and sounded its best?

Jon

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It sounds as if you have it set up about right at the moment. If you can hear the bass from the sub it's too loud as the handover from main speakers to sub should be seamless.

4. xtremecool

xtremecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounded good in films, so just turned up the dts LFE gain and gladiator is excellent now.

Jon

5. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did not use a Y connector and it sounds fine to me. The part of the instruction leaflet that i actually read said use a Y if the sub does not stay on (auto power on/off) at low volumes. Mine does not cut out at low volumes so I guess its OK as it is.

6. xtremecool

xtremecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A bit of a tweak here and there in the amp and on the sub and it is all sounding good at high volumes or low, film or music. Tommorrow will be spent playing with position in room.

A friend came round to use my shower (long story but he has bought a new place and ripped out the whole interior so no bathroom for the moment) and he said he could feel the bass in the shower. :)

Jon

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there... I also took delivery of one of these subs from Eric this week to do a direct, in-situ comparison with my current Rel Q150.

I only use the left/white input for the low level connection and it works fine.

As for your second point, I'm not sure what sub (if any?) you had before, but the most obvious thing I've so far noticed with the Velo is that the bass it produces is truly deep (sub) bass. This tends to mean it's less easy to hear - less in your face - but provides excellent underpinning of the rest of the soundstage and provides the kind of bass you FEEL with consumate ease.

Mine's been left running in for a full 4 days now and the sound has grown a little more 'fluid' and a little more deep (not hugely, but noticeably) in that time. I rented Minority Report on Tuesday night and there's a great scene for bass when Cruise is being chased in a factory, gets hold of a weapon and starts firing it. The bass thud when he lets off a shot is amazing through the Velo - I'd certainly not ever heard the Rel produce an experience like that in the 9 months I've owned it.

Even more worrying is that I listen to Sky Radio pretty much all day and they played the Beach Boys 'Kokomo' :)eek:) yesterday and I suddenly stopped working, turned around and was like 'WOW'... the bass drum simply sounded immense. Not boomingly deep or rattle the windows extreme but just ultra-clean, lushious bass tones.

Just trying to point out that the bass from the Velo is, in many ways, less intrusive but it seems far superior to what I've been used to. I now know what Eric means when he terms some other subs 'mid-woofers'.

Anyway, enjoy your new sub - I know mine's going to be working flat out over the holidays :)

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Careful Julian, you'll upset Steve EX :rolleyes:

9. xtremecool

xtremecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I know what he meant, as I experienced it this morning when I left some music on and went for a shower, you can feel the walls and bath moving if you put your hands on them.

This is my first sub as I have been relying on my 603s to do the bass work, and now after getting this sub I now know that while they were ok they can't compete on low bass.

Jon