Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

velodyne cht-10 hum

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by adox, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i purchased a velodyne cht-10 sub from uncle eric over the christmas period and although generally very happy with it, there is a noticable hum from the unit. it is noticable in the listening position when things are quiet, and although not ruining the listening experience is a little annoying.
    does anyone else have this problem? haven`t contacted eric about it yet as am not sure if this is just running noise of the internal amp, or if i have a geniune problem.

thanks

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Unplug everything except the mains, does it still hum?

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah the first thing i did was unplug all connections to see if it was interference, but still the same. i`m beginning to think it`s just the way this sub is, but was wondering if anyone else had the same experience. i have added some weight on top of the sub which has reduced the "hum" but it is still there.

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    My CHT15 hums too but can't really notice it unless you listen for it.

5. JaseyJay

JaseyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth mine doesn't hum. If you hav'nt already, try it from a different mains source.

6. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the cht-10 club too. Mine does make an audible hum in a silent room. You have to be listening for it to notice it. I can hear nothing of the hum with even the quietest output going on.

I've also noticed that it does not seem to turn itself automatically off. When I come down in the morning if I stick my ear to the sub I can hear a low hum showing that it is active - and yes the switch is set to auto on/off. If I wasn't too lazy to switch it off every night then I'd never remember anyway...so it stays on.

I still rate this sub as a very good purchase and a slight hum when its doing nothing does not bother me.

7. KeefyR

KeefyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am in the CHT 10 club - and very happy with it.

No sign of any hum at all -- quiet as the grave except when its actually producing output.

My first port of call would be to try a differnet mains lead and socket. Is it humming from just the phono input, or the speaker level input too. If it is only one it could be that it is a badly shielded cable. Try swapping all the cables to start with.

8. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have had a cHT-10 from eric for about 5 months now..yes there is a slight hum..and by that I mean VERY slight..but only if you listen for it..and I never have turned mine off since I purchased it..its literally on 24/7..dont use the Auto On/Off feature as you will miss out on some LFE as when watching a quiet part of a film the sub will go into standby mode and may be a sec slow turning itself back on.

Im using ax Ixos shielded subwoofercable - a 1081 IIR.

HTH

LDR

9. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No noticeable hum from my CHT10. I would check the earthing issue, plug it straight into a mains socket (no extension leads) and it might go away.

10. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LDR: If you set the sub to Auto off it shouldn't make you miss any of the LFE in a film. If you've got your other speakers set to small then the sub will always or very nearly always be receiving some bass signal so won't turn off when you are watching stuff. Even if you haven't got your speakers set to small the auto off delay of a sub is usually set at a long enough period (say 10 or 20 mins) for it not to switch off during a film because most films have some LFE every minute or so.

11. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`ll try it straight into the mains when i get home this evening. i have had it in a couple of different positions but always connected via an extension lead. the cable i`m using is ixos shielded cable, so that should be fine. have tried it without the cable connnected and still the same hum.as i say it`s not a major problem, but is noticable when quiet patrs of a film are being played. i find it strange though, that some of the replies say the cht-10 has no hum at all! makes me wonder where the hum on mine is coming from.

12. nanker

nanker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adox, I have a CHT-10 and also get this humming noise. First thing I did was unplug all cables save for the power one. It still hummed. Then I tried it in a different socket in the room - still hums. Quite loud I think, if anyone had one that hums like mine, they would definatly notice it. What can we do about it, or do we learn to live with it?
    Did you get yours sorted?

13. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OH MY GOD!!!! :eek: :eek:

Well this it!!! They must all be faulty, they'll burn down your house!!! It will explode!!! :eek: :eek:

Phew sorry about that. As a Servo 15 owner this is the sort of bullsh*t we have to put up with when someone says they have a problem with their sub. Just thought I'd see if Velo owners like it :D

Oh sarcasm, tis truly the lowest form of wit, and .... one of the funniest.

Cheers

Dave

14. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still have a hum from the sub. i added somw weight on top of the sub which has lessoned the hum. apart from that i just live with it!

15. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not true I'm afraid, I had my sub on Auto On when I first got it, during Panic Room it twice turned off because the film has long segments with no LFE at all, ever since then I leave it permanently on and use the remote to switch on and off from standby.

16. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Mine switched at the beginning of Eyes wide shut during the party scene near the start.

17. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must have a really short Auto-off time then, my Paradigm is set to about 20 mins and has never turned of whilst I've been watching anything. Although I do have my speakers set to small but would have thought that any DVD has some LFE within much smaller intervals anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.