Velodyne Acoustics Deep Blue DB-15 Subwoofer Review & Comments

£1500 and it's cheap vinyl wrapped, and the speaker terminals are those god awful push clips, Christ inflation really has taken afoot :(
On pictures alone I'd have guessed it was an Amazon special for a few hundred quid!

£1500 and it's cheap vinyl wrapped, and the speaker terminals are those god awful push clips, Christ inflation really has taken afoot :(
On pictures alone I'd have guessed it was an Amazon special for a few hundred quid!
Prices of electronics have rising since covid and chip shortages etc. But for £1500 yeah a decent finish and terminals wouldn't go a miss!

My 15 inch sealed sub bought in February was £1000 including delivery. Has a nicer finish, plus decent terminals and can connect it to a pc/laptop for PARAMETRIC EQ.

Could of got a Monoprice Monolith ported sub considerably cheaper but I have neighbours above and below. Don't want a ASBO lol.

IMG_20220202_112843.jpg

IMG_20220207_111806.jpg

Not cheap even in these uncertain times. Shame about the finish and stripped down feature set. Back in the day it was Velodyne’s HGS15 Vs the Paradigm Servo 15. A lot of, some might say, shenanigans on here back then. My two Servo 15s at IIRC similar price to one HGS15, from, yes, Richer Sounds, are still going strong after 20 years and now with their second owner.

Prices of electronics have rising since covid and chip shortages etc. But for £1500 yeah a decent finish and terminals wouldn't go a miss!

My 15 inch sealed sub bought in February was £1000 including delivery. Has a nicer finish, plus decent terminals and can connect it to a pc/laptop for PARAMETRIC EQ.

Could of got a Monoprice Monolith ported sub considerably cheaper but I have neighbours above and below. Don't want a ASBO lol.

View attachment 1748403
View attachment 1748406
looks a nice sub that does

View attachment 1748403
View attachment 1748406

What's the make and model, where did you get it and what is that plinth please?

(Sorry for off topic, but I know others are curious too!).

Saxx deepSOUND DS 150 DSP from my preliminary investigations haha.

Looks cheap and nasty, must be better options out there for £1.5k.

Yep, SVS/Arendal/REL any day and twice on sundays over this! More intrested what changes Velodyne brings to new DD+ serie next year.

Wow, since when did a £1495 price tag on a subwoofer become "meagre".... :eek:

This is still fairly affordable if compared to M&K V15+ with similar specs. 😅

Yep, SVS/Arendal/REL any day and twice on sundays over this! More intrested what changes Velodyne brings to new DD+ serie next year.

This is still fairly affordable if compared to M&K V15+ with similar specs. 😅
Yeh…but studios mate!

Not sure I understand this bit (nothing new there) :)

Quote:- Martin Dew
" One of Velodyne Acoustics’ signature characteristics is its closed cabinet design, and the company claims that flow noise from the DB-15’s reflex ports is all but eliminated."

As the Velodyne DB-15 is a closed cabinet design (presumably sealed) surely it doesn't have any reflex ports.

The great subwoofer inflation conundrum!!!

i.e every time i think about selling / or trading in my original velodyne DD15's both purchased used one of here for 900 quid 10 years ago and never missed a beat - one of fleabay 5 years same money but needed a service 6 months in from redline which cost 200 quid and has not missed a beat since - the build quality - the performance in my not overly large room is sublime -

I would have to spend x thousands pounds more (even used) to replicate all of the above when you factor in the build quality and brand new forget it.

Much as I constantly drool and would love to get a couple of the new hot subwoofers (Perlisten - new M&K's) etc it just doesn't stack up (less is more) in my logical HT head

Dropping 7-10k on the latest hottest kids on the subwoofer block would be better invested for me in a end game ish laser JVC/Sony projector

I suppose moral of the story is pick your battles and when you already have a banging pair of woofers why change - and in my case invest in another area of your set up where your get most gain and ROI, rant over BUT I am still drooling about those pesky Perlistens lol

Not sure I understand this bit (nothing new there) :)

Quote:- Martin Dew
" One of Velodyne Acoustics’ signature characteristics is its closed cabinet design, and the company claims that flow noise from the DB-15’s reflex ports is all but eliminated."

As the Velodyne DB-15 is a closed cabinet design (presumably sealed) surely it doesn't have any reflex ports.
Yes, that's a typo, thank you. It should read effectively that '...there is no flow noise because it's a closed cabinet' etc. I'll get that changed.

REL HT1508 £999

Saxx deepSOUND DS 150 DSP from my preliminary investigations haha.
Yep that's correct. And the custom size quad birch plywood isolation platform with a couple of layers of sandwiched damping material is from Oscars Audio. They can also make them with maple, walnut, oak etc stained or unstained.

Last edited:
Sorry for the off topic, but just out of interest, was it an import converted to 240v or do you live on the mainland?

@Phil Hinton @Martin Dew

Can one of the team get one or two Saxx deepSOUND DS 150 DSP subwoofers in for review please? They do look rather good.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Steve Withers @Phil Hinton @Martin Dew

Can one of the team get one or two Saxx deepSOUND DS 150 DSP subwoofers in for review please? They do look rather good.

And the 120 DSP does as well. I had a quick look for CEA-2010 results... @Mr Wolf you seen anything?

And the 120 DSP does as well. I had a quick look for CEA-2010 results... @Mr Wolf you seen anything?
No but interestingly the manufacturer has boldly published its FR graph at a whopping 107dB.
1662551852657.png

We don’t know if this RMS or peak, the distance of the measurement microphone or the distortion level so this could be overstated by more than 9dB compared to CEA-2010 RMS at 2 metres. If it is exactly 9dB overstated then 98dB CEA-2010 would put it 3dB higher than the similar specced REL HT/1510 at 20Hz.

"sub-premium build quality" is surely a pro in this context? ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom