1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velo HGS 10 too much for my system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Joel, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've bought a house in order to be able to use a subwoofer for my setup. ;) I have read much about REL Quake and it seems as fine piece of work to buy as my first ever SW. Small measurements is a very important factor, aside from the obvious good musical and theatrical sound.

Along with the SW I will also buy a plasma and a new rack for the equipment, and I have a good connection who gives me really good prices. When I asked him for prices on the REL, though, he immediately prompted me to buy a Velodyne HGS 10 instead, since it was by far a better purchase. The piece he had was a demo and I could possibly get it at half of the MSRP.

Given my current setup: Pioneer VSX D2011, DV 656, Kef Q5, Kef Q9c and Jamo Artina 500 surrounds, I wonder if this sub is far too advanced for me? Even at half the MSRP, the SW is still more expensive than my front speakers.

What would the experts on this forum suggest I do? Should I still go for the REL Quake or would it be a better investment to go for the HGS 10?

I am looking forward to read your opinions on this matter.

Kind regards,

Joel

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Rel Storm. For music it's more than good enough.

However, for AV it's pretty good- but when you really need to push out SPL/low bass for very heavy action sequences it does give up.

I would not bother with the Quake.

Hopefully I'll get a whopping great sub for AV (but keep the Storm for stereo)

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hello Joel

Blimey!......That's dedication for you.

In terms of possible performance, the Velodyne has the specifications & pedigree to be light years ahead on the REL Quake in ability & accuracy.

I haven't heard a HGS-10 model, but i do own the HGS-18 model.
    I would be quite confident that it would be a small, distant relative of it's larger brother.

Over here in the UK, the HGS-10 is massively more expensive than the REL Quake. I have heard the REL Quake, & don't really have anything to say on it.

There's no such thing as 'overkill' with subwoofers.
    The HGS-10 will be controlled & tweeked to your tastes, so dont really see a problem.
    If you still find the notion a bit too hard to swallow, then think of it as a longer term investment.

Adzman

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree, better to go OTT than get a underperformer which sounds bad at your listening volume.

More likely to damage it as well - the setting is close to max output, and will sound bad at that volume as well.

5. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The REL Quake has connectors for a computer which gives you an indication of where in the market it is pitched.

Assuming that Swedish pricing structure isn't too different from the UK, an HGS10 at half price is a bargain that shouldn't be ignored and I would snap it up.

6. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Thanks for your replies. Keep 'em coming!
    The pricing structure in Sweden is somewhat higher than that of the UK, although the price relation between the REL and the Velodyne is the same.

So the Quake is not considered as good for home cinema as it is for music and it does not go as low as may be needed for that "natural" cinema experience?

Still, Velodyne is at half its price almost twice as expensive as my front speakers. Wouldn't it be better, then, to invest in heavier speakers than in this SW?

Joel

7. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not IMHO, I think you'd better investing in a quality sub such as the HGS-10. This will allow you to relieve the strain on your main speakers by diverting all your bass to the sub -> better performance from your mains, better bass from the sub.

The Quake is pretty awful too IMO.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'ow much is the HGS-10?

9. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deckard: Do you mean awful as in not good, or awful as in really cool?

I haven't discussed the price tag yet, but around £890 is my educated guess.

Joel

10. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awful as in don't bother!!

11. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't want it at that I price, I'll certainly have it.

12. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    GRAB IT NOW BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!

( ;) )

Dunc

13. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    regarding your comments about your front speakers-I would say that a quality sub such as the hgs10 is arguably just as important in a 5.1 setup as your front speakers-never skimp on a subwoofer and at that price get it now.

14. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your comments. The price settled at £900, and it's a done deal!

Joel

15. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, how should I connect it?

Joel

16. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a result Joel!!

Connect it to the subwoofer/LFE output of your amp (obvious I know), set all your speakers to small, set bass out to sub only, set the sub to bypass it's internal crossover (direct input), calibrate your levels and enjoy!!!

...actually there's more to it than that ie where you put the sub, phase alignment etc, but those basics will get you going.

17. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sub is now connected and I have toyed with it for the better part of the weekend. Without a doubt, I can say that it sure packs some punch! How was I able to live without it for so long? ;)

Joel