Velo CHT 10 SET UP TIPS

P

powder40

Can I get a few tips on setting up this sub like crossover points, volume levels etc, my processor is a Yam E800. I said in a different thread that I can't turn the volume passed the first mark on the volume knob is this normal because I have read some threads and people have said they put the volume up full, now if I put mine up to half it sounds like a 747 airplane going over the house. Should you be able to feel the sub from your listening position without it overpowering the rest of the system.

I have my cht10 volume control set just below the second white dot, the sub output and lfe chanels are both set -12db on the Yammy 630, crossover fixed 90hz, all speakers set to small. Room approx 5M x 4M.

I listen mainly to music dvd's, any thing higer then this is too over powering, I would not say I can feel the sub, but you certainly miss it if you turn it off.

Barry

Barry

Originally posted by powder40
I said in a different thread that I can't turn the volume passed the first mark on the volume knob is this normal because I have read some threads and people have said they put the volume up full,

Most properly setup up subwoofers will have the volume control set at a fairly low level. The idea is supposed to be integration of sub and main speakers so that one starts where the other leaves off.

The people who turn the volume control up full are the same people that tell stories of ornaments jumping around due to the high levels of trouser flapping bass that their sub is generating but what they are really listening too are high levels of distortion.

Had a good look around my room last night (size is 18ft long 12ft wide) sub will not go between tv and main speakers, well it will but it might be to close to the widescreen(if I put it there what will happen ). Say I bring it down to the other end of the room next to my listening position will it blend in with the other speakers being so far from the main speakers, like a lot of people say it's a question of trial and error just wouldn't mind hearing where other people have placed their's. By the way the Velo is angled in the right hand corner of the room at the moment.

If you put any speaker that isn't magnetically shielded too close to the television you will be able to see colour staining on the picture. The best position for the subwoofer would be at the front of the soundstage somewhere and if you have your speakers at one end of the room whilst you and your sub are 18' away you will end up with a sonic mess

Originally posted by powder40
Anybody know if the Velo is shielded

Oh Yes, quote from the velo wesite:
ALL CHT SERIES SPEAKERS: Video shielding - Video shielding prevents the CHT Series speakers from causing changes in picture quality on near-by TV monitors.

I have my cht10 4" to the left of the tv, top of the sub is a couple of inches lower then the base of the tv, i have had no problems.

Barry

Thanks for the advice because when I bought the sub I was told it wasn't shielded. And this means a lot because I might be able to place it between Tv and front speakers.

I asked Uncle Eric whether the CHT-10 was shielded when I purchased mine, and this was his reply

Just had a word with Velodyne to make sure, and yes they are all sheilded. The only one in the whole Velodyne range not sheilded is the Tiny SPL-800 (The clear acrylic sub)

So there you have it. Velodyne say its shielded.

i have my cht-10 about 5 or six feet to the left of my front left speaker, due to space restrictions.
its about a couple of feet closer to the listening position, than the front three speakers but still intigrates fairly well.
volume is set at about 15%.

I think I have mine set at around 10 o'clock.

I used to have it sitting right beside the telly with no picture problems whatsoever.

Like others have mentioned, it's difficult to notice it's there, until you turn it off.

Jasper

Gonna set my Velo up tonight what would you say would be the best to set it up with a music DVD or a Film or do all Dvd's have different amount of bass, if that's the case I will have to alter the volume all the time.

Each dvd is different, I would use a music dvd you know well to start, if you can adjust the sub out level on your amp, set it to half way and then adjust volume on the sub till it sounds ok. you can then adjust the sub level on the amp to suit various dvd's with out touching the volume control on the sub.

Barry

haha, gotta say this.:D
I got my CHT-10 today (thanks Uncle Eric) from time I ordered to time I received, less than 24 hrs.
Anyway, plugged it in and stuck on Armageddon 'take-off' sequence and you will have to take my word for this..as soon as the sub kicked in it actually blew my door shut..I was crying with laughter. I had the sub too high, but it was really something you had to see. The door is on the opposite side of my room to the sub (directly)..
lmao..would make a great party trick.;)

I often used to amuse my neighbours doing that with my old Q Bass. I think that if I tried that with my current sub it would probably blow the door off it's hinges :D

haha...:rotfl:

well today I have the whole day to myself, missus and kids at at mother-in-laws for the day so time to get down and dirty and get this mutha sorted.:)
It's gonna be a loud day in Farnborough, be warned all ye locals

:)

Think I got my Velo sorted at last been watching music dvd's all week and the setting's seem to be right watched Daredevil Friday night and the bass was awesome but yet again it was a DTS soundtrack I got the best results from.

museumsteve - I see by your post you basically just plugged your sub in, set it up and away you went and it provided some serious LFE straight away. How is it going now - has it improved with running in at all?

The reason I ask is I should be getting one on Wednesday!

best upgrade since my amp mate.
The difference is incredible. I used to swear by my Rel Q150 but I guess I was smitten..only problem now is I'm tempted to look at a CHT-15 lol

THX 1138 is selling his so why not look at that one.

Mine's well run in now, and thanks to a lot of advice off a lot of member's is set up well and sounding incredible. The only thing got to move soon and well you know, different house different shape etc start again, you know what I mean.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom