Veira Link Problem turning on Panasonic TV Tx-32FS503B when Panasonic HDD DMR-HWT230 turned on.

grumpy69

Novice Member
Reaction score
My Mother in-law had a Panasonic TV linked by a HDMI cable to a Panasonic HDD DMR-HWT230. She had no problem operating them by using only the Remote control of the HDD. Pressing the on button would turn both units on and off.
Unfortunately her old TV had to be replaced by a new Panasonic TV Tx-32FS503B. She no longer can turn both units on by using the HDD Remote. Note: See can turn them both off by using the TV remote.
I have looked at the HDMI connections and they are identical.
I have also checked that the Viera Link is set to ON in setup on the TV with both the turn off and on functions are activated.
Could it be something to-do with the HDMI cable quality?

Try a different HDMI input.
Hi, The HDD Recorder only has one HDMI input. The TV has 2 inputs, the recommended one I have used, HDMI-1, the other is HDMI-2 which has the arc function to use with amplifiers.

I will try the other TV HDMI input at my next visit to the mother in-law.

Thanks.

The Recorder has an HDMI output, it's not an input.
I meant a different HDMI input on the TV.
Yes, HDMI2 has ARC but it can still be used as an input unless there is an amp connected…which you haven’t stated if there is?

The Recorder has an HDMI output, it's not an input.
I meant a different HDMI input on the TV.
Yes, HDMI2 has ARC but it can still be used as an input unless there is an amp connected…which you haven’t stated if there is?
There is no Amplifier connected, just the cable from the HDD Recorder.
I was reluctant to assume one of the TV HDMI inputs were faulty since its a brand new TV. But I will try this. Thanks.

There won't be a faulty HDMI input.
HDMI CEC is flaky between all sorts and brands of equipment.
The TV isn’t a “real” Panasonic…it's manufactured for them by Turkish manufacture Vestel and the same innards are used in other brands like Bush, JVC and Hitachi.

There won't be a faulty HDMI input.
HDMI CEC is flaky between all sorts and brands of equipment.
The TV isn’t a “real” Panasonic…it's manufactured for them by Turkish manufacture Vestel and the same innards are used in other brands like Bush, JVC and Hitachi.
Hi,

I did have problems 5 years ago with a Sony TV and Sony Sound Box interfacing with a Humax HDD Recorder. I found that the Humax unit was not fully compliant with the HDMI CEC interface, so stopped the Sony equipment interfacing correctly. I had to get a HDMI adaptor that removed the specific link to the Humax unit that was causing the problem. Now the Sony equipment works as specified.

Final update. Tried both HDMI inputs to the TV, and used another HDMI cable as well but still the new TV does not switch on/off when the HDD unit is turned on / off.
What can be achieved is the TV can switch the HDD into standby when the TV is put into standby. But you need to turn the TV and HDD on separately with their remotes. Luckily my mother in-law has learnt to live with it. Thanks for your support.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom