Vegetarians Boycot Mars Bars

That's excellent news. My master plan to rid all edible food for vegetarians is in progress! Slowly I will force all those lettuce eating fools to eat meat. :)

Food chain:
Human + technology > everything else ;)

:devil:

Nice and tasty.
Animal rennet.
Deep-frozen stomachs are milled and put into an extracting solution – in this solution the enzymes are extracted. The crude rennet extract is then activated by adding acid – the enzymes in the stomach are produced in an inactive pre-form and are activated by the stomach acid.

Why would anyone want this in a "chocolate" bar? Its also found in cheese and other food stuffs.

Attachments

• yumm.jpg
    yumm.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 120
I would !

That is sadly the pompous snobbish attitude of todays society. Animals are for eating, every single part of most animals can be eaten and thats how Jesus and the other Xmen designed it ! Does it really matter if its a rib or an arsehole so long as its edible?

So how many vegetarians would also avoid beer and wine? Finings (pronounced fine-ings) is used to clear the beverages towards the end of the fermentation process. Although there are several substances available, the most potent is this:

Gelatin Finings (dried form)
100% animal-derived gelatin

Positively charged fining agent for wine and beer. The most powerful of the organic finings, gelatin will also remove excess tannins (polyphenolics) and colouring particles (melanoidins) from wine. Use 1.5 g per 23 litres of beer, 3 g per 23 litres of wine. Pour 125 ml of boiling water over gelatin powder, stirring to dissolve. Stir thoroughly into wine. 5 ml (one teaspoon) = approximately 3 g.

Using more than the recommended amount will remove too much of the colour and flavour compounds from wine and some of the body from beer.

Imagine, giving up smoking AND alcohol in a pub! ;) :)

Good job I 'm not a veggiemite, all my fav tipples are "not suitable" for veggies.

Another favourite in beer making, instead of "animal" gelatine, is Isinglass:

a form of gelatin prepared from the air bladder of the sturgeon and certain other fishes. grin:

In reply to pack man, Rennet is the enzyme that separates milk into curds and whey, that's why you find it in a calf's stomach, to aid digestion. Curds are made into cheese and the liquid whey was traditionally fed to pigs. Nowadays it is turned into confectionary and fed to [-]pigs[/-] people :) . Hence both cheese and mars bars have traces of the Rennet in them.

Dave

So Mars have backtracked. PR stunt? People power? Nope - money talks

Anyway I was reading this
Vegetarians were more likely to be female, to be of higher occupational social class and to have higher academic or vocational qualifications than non-vegetarians.

So Mars have backtracked. PR stunt? People power? Nope - money talks

Anyway I was reading this
[/SIZE]
Of course! 3 million potential customers is a lot to lose! ;)

Glad they gave in tbh. Having worked in the MAFF for a while, my confidence in using meat based products as a cheap alternative to vegetable based ones is (very) low.

If God hadn't intended man to eat meat, he wouldn't have invented such diverse and tasty animals like ham, pork and bacon. mmmmm
And the holy bible says it's ok to eat meat, so according to that, all veggetarians will be going straight to hell along with gays and non-believers.

If God hadn't intended man to eat meat, he wouldn't have invented such diverse and tasty animals like ham, pork and bacon. mmmmm
And the holy bible says it's ok to eat meat, so according to that, all veggetarians will be going straight to hell along with gays and non-believers.

Oh dear, here we go. Somebody mentions bacon, then along comes a reference to bacon sarnies with fried egg and cheese filling (perhaps even a dash of ketchup) and before we know it half the currently active members are heading to the kitchen.
Back in 10 mins.

Do veggies deny animals are tasty? I always thought that the distinction was that it is unconscionable for them to eat them

Whilst we're talking about it, does anyone know how to stop bacon becoming too salty?

If I was cynical I would suggest this move will precede a price hike in excess of the difference between using animal and vegetable rennet. A spokesperson will say the animal rennet was introduced to keep costs down and avoid an otherwise inevitable price increase, which will now have to be introduced :)

Dave

I'm too squeamish :D Couldn't even watch in the F Word when the turkeys got it :rotfl: Thanks, I'll try soaking it in future

6 months on I am now finally used to the sight and (lack of) smell of tofu :p These veggies really dig the stuff don't they? :p

If I was cynical I would suggest this move will precede a price hike in excess of the difference between using animal and vegetable rennet. A spokesperson will say the animal rennet was introduced to keep costs down and avoid an otherwise inevitable price increase, which will now have to be introduced :)

Dave
I don't believe that they would dare increase the price, but they will certainly shrink the size of the bars again.

Either my hands are getting bigger or chocolate is shrinking. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that's why I now need reading glasses to read the labels on chocolate bars, the font size is shrinking along the the bars and the packaging :)

Dave

I don't believe that they would dare increase the price, but they will certainly shrink the size of the bars again.

Either my hands are getting bigger or chocolate is shrinking. :rolleyes:
Is that a common problem Alan? Your hands seeming to be bigger while things are shrinking? ;) :D

You're probably right though. If the cheapskates can't find one way to maximise profits, they'll find another. Usually it is the incredible shrinking chocolate bar that happens............... I mean I remember when a standard Mars bar seemed to be getting bigger as I ate it, now it's gone in three bites! :eek:

Is that a common problem Alan? Your hands seeming to be bigger while things are shrinking? ;) :D
Don't really know, my stomach is tooo big to check :(
You're probably right though. If the cheapskates can't find one way to maximise profits, they'll find another. Usually it is the incredible shrinking chocolate bar that happens............... I mean I remember when a standard Mars bar seemed to be getting bigger as I ate it, now it's gone in three bites! :eek:
One word - Wagonwheels

One word - Wagonwheels
Yup. I wondered if my eyesight was playing up last time I bought them for the kids! But no, they have shrunk, up to 30% I think!:rolleyes:

This is funny...if you are a veggie and a Mars has meat products in it DON'T EAT IT! Eat a carrot or something else...what's the big deal? You choose to not eat meat so in the same way that you don't eat a steak, stay away from the "infected" chocolate bars too. No more pampering to minority "lifestyle" groups...you chose to be like that so live with the consequences!

EDIT: I re-read and understand the point being made, I am always hasty to have a pop at the veggies...

This is funny...if you are a veggie and a Mars has meat products in it DON'T EAT IT! Eat a carrot or something else...what's the big deal? You choose to not eat meat so in the same way that you don't eat a steak, stay away from the "infected" chocolate bars too. No more pampering to minority "lifestyle" groups...you chose to be like that so live with the consequences[!
That's the whole point. They did threaten a boycott!:rolleyes: And that's why Mars backed down!

Being a vegetarian is no longer a small 'minority' 'choice'. There are (at least) 3 million of them. If they were a 'minority' Mars would have toughed it out. They didn't. Frankly I'm not the keen on having unnecessary, stuck in to save a few pence, meat products in my sweets either. I am not a vegetarian, and I'm glad they made a stand.

Why should my choice of foods be limited to make a company even more dough?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom