Vegas pro 10 ac3 option is missing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by mirrorman, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mirrorman

mirrorman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,Trying to render a 1080p clip from my Panasonic sd90 to mp4,but on the audio setting i don't have the option to change it to ac3 it's defaulted to aac.
    I do have dvda 5.2,and i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both but still can't get ac3 option to show.
    Gratefull for any help with this problem.:confused:

2. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    Hi, i don't render in HD myself, but have found the following settings, i don't know if this is any good to you.

Attached Files:

3. mirrorman

mirrorman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the help,but i am able to get this setting.
    But when trying to render a clip to mp4 the ac3 option is'nt there,in your jpg your setting is for m2ts.:confused:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  4. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    Scratch that i was wrong :facepalm:, i just used an mp4 and the Ac3 setting isn't there.

5. PizzaDeOveja

PizzaDeOveja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In my Vegas Studio 11 the ac3 render option dissapeared once. I was trying to add the ac3pro plugin (the ac3studio one is useless as it is not recognized by dvd author and forces a conversion to pcm) to the studio plugin folder so I could produce ac3 coded blu-rays but it was of no use. Somehow the plugins got mixed up, or something, and ac3 ended up not being available to render.
    A reinstall shorted out the problem, so you should try that just in case.

6. mirrorman

mirrorman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah i tried a reinstall but still the same.if you look at the 4th post by "jonna" you can see he tried to do the same with an mp4 and he also does'nt have the option for ac3.
    What i'm trying to do is render a mts 1080p dolby stereo clip from a Panasonic sd90 to an mp4 and keep the original dolby stereo,but i only have the option to render it with aac.
    I also have the ac3plug folder and the ac3studioplug folder and i've clicked the the registrationaplication exe.
    Have a go and try to render a mp4 with ac3 audio and see if you have the option there.:)

7. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    When rendering using template AVCHD 1920x1080x50i the ac3 option is there, but the rendered file would be mt2s. If you change the template to HD 1920X1080-50P the file output is mp4 but the audio is then aac .There are various options for rendering to mp4 but none with ac3 audio.

8. PizzaDeOveja

PizzaDeOveja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My guess is that if you see the AC3 option with some formats and not with others it means that the dvd-Blue wouldn't be playable(wouldn't fulfill the standard) so the option is unavailable. I had a few problems with that until I read about the standards blu ray uses. However I don't see how if you render separately audio and video why the program would deactivate an option, thou it surely has to do with the template you are using. It is not recommended however as far as I know to render files with audio and video at the same time, because blu's wont accept that. They are pretty restrictive now that I think of it, but I dont see why you would want to do that anyways, as sony dvd author wont allow you to record disk in a format that is not part of the standard. There is a free tool they do recommend in the forum that apparently allows you to produce any disk you want, but I suppose most blu-readers wont recognize the disk then, and with the ridiculous prices of disks it is certainly a costly option to test.
    Sorry just thinking out loud...well in print i mean...

9. mirrorman

mirrorman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But i'm not trying to create a disc,i'm trying make an mp4 file with the original ac3 dd stereo audio,from a video clip taken with the Panasonic sd90.
    i've tried separating the audio and rendering it as ac3 stereo but when i try and open it in vegas pro 11 it says unsupported file.:confused:

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Pretty sure the MP4 container does not support ac3 audio.

I just exported a clip from Movie Studio Platinum 11 using H264/AVC (.mts) format with 5.1 audio. (1920 x 1080 interlaced)

Tried Superc to convert to a MP4 container. Only audio options supported are aac audio.

Any reason you need to use a MP4 container rather than AVCHD ? :confused:

11. PizzaDeOveja

PizzaDeOveja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I understand you and I think you're entirely right, don't get me wrong, but we have to work with what VEGAS allows us to do. The thing [big IMHO] is that the program wont care about what you intend to do. It is hardcoded, so people wont need to know about blu and dvd specifications, so the idea is that they use templates that only allow you to produce the correct files that can be transferred to a disk. I dont know whether if you choose to customize the template then the program will allow you to create whatever you want but my guess is that it wont. It wont look rational because they are all artificial limitations to what the users will be able to do.

There are a lot of problems IMHO with ac3 in Vegas because the idea is for us to buy the Pro 500€ version if you would like to use ac3. Dvd author wont use the ac3 sound produced with vegas studio, which is completely ridiculous.

According to a forum, I haven't been able to test this as I dont have Vegas pro, but they said that the ac3 pro plugin allows you to define volume and bitrate and thus dvd author will recognize it as ac3 and wont reconvert. I have dvdautor pro and it doesnt recognize as AC3 the ac3 soundtrack produced using ac3 studio plugin in vegas, it reconverts it. So it is crystal clear that it is all artificial. There shouldn't be any problem with it, and all the ton of problems that you encounter have a clear purpose.

My guess is that perhaps same thing happens if you try to enter an ac3 signal into VEGAS. Mine accepts the Ac3 signal contained in the video from the cam, which comes joined with the video in the cam format, but you wont be able to get Ac3 out of that anyway you try unless you get the pro version, which will allow you to render true Ac3 with vegas. The studio pluggin I think is meant to allow you to read AC3 audio from the videocam but it wont allow you to render audio in Ac3. It gets even worse if as you say it wont recognize an separated ac3 signal. It sounds to me, again, like an artificial limitation to sell the top dog product.

I think your best bet would be to use one of those free programs they say allow you to produce ac3 soundtracks. Magix has a 7 day trial and they told me it allows you to have ac3 soundtrack, and there is another one that is completely free that allows you to do so. For me that was not an option as I had already a ton of hours in making my 2 videos in vegas, finally they were finished so I was not going to start from scratch just so I get ac3. I had to resort to other means to get the job done...and well the end DEFINITELY did justify the means, what can I say, it looks glorious.
    I Hope it finally works for you too!
    best!

12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Platinum Movie Studio 11 will export camcorder edited footage with the 5.1 audio intact using an AVCHD preset. See my posting above. (latest build downloaded today)

mpeg-4 doesn't officially support ac3 audio so if you manage to encode it wont be a supported format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  13. mirrorman

mirrorman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Any reason you need to use a MP4 container rather than AVCHD ? :confused:[/QUOTE]

The only reason is that mp4 is'nt restricted to devices that playback AVCHD(Sony Panasonic)
    I think your right when you say that a mp4 container can't render the audio ac3 dd,so if i want ac3 dd audio i'll have to render it to AVCHD.:facepalm:

14. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    The only reason is that mp4 is'nt restricted to devices that playback AVCHD(Sony Panasonic)
    I think your right when you say that a mp4 container can't render the audio ac3 dd,so if i want ac3 dd audio i'll have to render it to AVCHD.:facepalm:[/QUOTE]

All the latest media players seem to support the format.

eg

WD TV Live

15. mirrorman

mirrorman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My guess is that perhaps same thing happens if you try to enter an ac3 signal into VEGAS. Mine accepts the Ac3 signal contained in the video from the cam, which comes joined with the video in the cam format, but you wont be able to get Ac3 out of that anyway you try unless you get the pro version, which will allow you to render true Ac3 with vegas.

But i do have the pro version(Vegas Pro 11).

16. vkmast

vkmast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    From VMS 11 PLATINUM Help:
    AC-3 audio (.ac3)
    If you're using the Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio encoder, use the Stereo DVD or Stereo DVD, AGC on template to render a stereo audio stream for your DVD.
    AC-3 and 5.1 surround are available only in Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum software.

From DVD Architect Studio 5.0 Help:
    Notes:
    The AVC, MainConcept MPEG-2, AC-3, and Wave/Wave64 encoders provide templates that, if used without any modifications, result in files that do not require any recompression (unless the file size is too large to fit on a disc).
    AC-3 audio is available only for DVD projects

DVDA Studio 5.0 had a bug (in build 150 I think) "that prevented DVD Architect Studio from opening AC-3 Studio files rendered by Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio software."
    It was fixed in later builds.

VMS HD Platinums include DVD Architect Studio 5.0, VegasPro includes DVD Architect Pro 5.2.
    The reason for not including AC-3.pro in the cheaper consumer versions is probably the Dolby licensing fees.

As for mp4 + audio, the conclusions made in the posts above seem valid.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012