• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vegas for friends wedding-where else to go/add to trip?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

A mate of mine has finally gotten around to proposing to his G/F and she said yes! :clap:

They are looking to get married in Las Vegas and we've been invited! :smashin:

I'm now thinking of us getting to Vegas either a couple of days before the wedding, enjoying Vegas and then going somewhere else after the wedding or going somewhere else first then ending up in Vegas for the wedding.

I'm looking for any suggestions of anywhere that would be reasonably easy to get to either to or from Las Vegas.

Cheers. :)

bearman3784

Distinguished Member
Hire a car and head out to Valley of Fire and Lake Mead National Park, amazing scenery. You could also squeeze in Hoover Dam in the morning. Hoover Dam was around a 35 min drive and VOF just under an hour. I enjoyed those places as much as vegas itself and its nice to get out of the madness for a day :smashin:
all depends on how long/how far you want to go from vegas though really as there is loads in the relative surrounding area

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hire a car and head out to Valley of Fire and Lake Mead National Park, amazing scenery. You could also squeeze in Hoover Dam in the morning. Hoover Dam was around a 35 min drive and VOF just under an hour. I enjoyed those places as much as vegas itself and its nice to get out of the madness for a day :smashin:
all depends on how long/how far you want to go from vegas though really as there is loads in the relative surrounding area

Nice one, thanks. :thumbsup:

I was thinking of doing something like a twin centre holiday and spending say 9 or 10 day some where else (let's just say San Francisco for argument's sake) and then on to Vegas for the wedding (or Vegas first and then on to San Francisco for the next 9 or 10 days).

If that makes sense!? :D

Last edited:

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Do Vegas first, you'll want a rest afterwards. I'd get there a few days before so you can really explore the place, stay 4/5 days.

San Diego is a good place for a little hols afterwards. We stayed at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn: Hotels in San Diego | Shelter Island Hotels | Humphrey's Half Moon Inn & Suites, San Diego, CA

Cracking little hotel on Shelter Island looking back across to San Diego. The Island itself has everything you'd want to relax during the day & eat/drink at night, some excellent restaurants in a beautiful setting. It's also pretty close to everything San Diego has to offer, city centre, gaslight district, zoo, seaworld etc...

Humphrey's also has a small outdoor concert venue in it's grounds, if you're lucky you may have a big star playing whilst you're there San Diego Concerts | San Diego Music Scene | Humphrey's Half Moon Inn & Suites, San Diego, CA (Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin & BB King all have). Just looking at this years schedule they have Joe Cocker, Four Season, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Tears for Fears:eek:, Yes, Chris Isaak, LeAnn Rimes & loads more: http://www.humphreysconcerts.com/schedule_glance_pdf.cfm

themilkman23

I wish I could convince my better half that we should get married in Vegas.

We went there for a holiday two years ago and absolutely loved it, but she's not keen on getting married there - Bad times.

bearman3784

Distinguished Member
Nice one, thanks. :thumbsup:

I was thinking of doing something like a twin centre holiday and spending say 9 or 10 day some where else (let's just say San Francisco for argument's sake) and then on to Vegas for the wedding (or Vegas first and then on to San Francisco for the next 9 or 10 days).

If that makes sense!? :D

ahhh you could start off at san fran then stay few days there then drive down to LA/Hollywood then its a 4 hour roughly drive to Vegas, or if want a more country style trip start from Phoenix and work up to Vegas via Sedona, Flagstaff, the canyon etc
both would be awesome

HotblackDesiato

Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion National Parks are all possible from Vegas.

If you want a two centre break then from Vegas you could do Death Valley, Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks, San Francisco, and then Pacific Coast highway down to LA, or San Diego.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
HERE

Richard Petty Experience at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Not very expensive and a brilliant excursion!

Shady

We got a little bored in San Fransisco, once you had done Alcatraz, the Bridge, The Pier, Lombard Street etc. Planned to stay for 6 days and came away after the third.

I would suggest Santa Monica. We stopped at the Holiday Inn at the Pier and everything is within walking distance, hire bikes to go up and down the beach, great restaurants and a 20 minute drive into LA.

And only an hours flight to Vegas - cost us around 40 quid which was cheaper than hiring the car and driving there and back - let alone the 8 hour drive (although what a drive...).

Once in Vegas - do the helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon - fantastic. Oh, and go and see the Beatles 'Love' show.

Cheers

daveaka

I'm off to Vegas in October I can't wait, first time too..Useful thread as I'm there for 2 weeks and really need to do something other than gamble.

bearman3784

Distinguished Member

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Santa Monica is well worth a visit as said earlier. Its got the pier/big wheel from Lost Boys and some of Baywatch was filmed there as well.

The whole of the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) from Santa Monica to San Francisco is also worth a trip. I married in Vegas at Caesars Palace then our Honeymoon was Highway 1 on a Honda Goldwing.

Monterey is cool. We blew the budget a little at Monterey and stayed in a suite at the plaza right on the Ocean at Cannery Row. Our room was on stilts over the water with windows on 3 sides. Stunning!

If you've never been before then obviously the Grand Canyon is a must while in Vegas, we did a helicopter trip with a Champagne Picnic at the Canyon. An unforgettable experience.

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I lived in Arizona for a number of years and was a regular Vegas visitor - you have so many options in that general area as you are in probably one of the world's greatest places for spectacular scenery - I would also strongly suggest the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands National Park, Monument Valley, Sedona, Lake Havasu City, Laughlin, Lake Mead, Page amonsgt others! I know it sounds like a lot but take some extra time out there if you can - most are around Vegas and Northern Arizona. You can hire planes and fly to many places as well! All above are spectacular but for something extra spectacular, you could do some hot air ballooning and something super spectacular, you could do a journey down pretty much most of the Colorado River - it is a mind blowing journey! Man, that brings back some memories!

Suave!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom