1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegas 5.0 Compress and Movie Like Effects Help. Can Vegas Help?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lokimus, Aug 9, 2005.

1. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey agian sorry about all the questions but i really need soem more help.

I was wondering if there is anyway to make the whole footage look more 'movie' like, not sure if there is some kind of filter that can do this, but in propper movies you sometimes notice that when they are editing, the footage looks alot different; more home movie like but the final product looks like it has some filter over the top.

I use vegas 5.0 and i was wondering if this program could help make this effect?

The other big problem i had was that the footage i upload now with the firewire cable, thanx to you guys, has proven to give me rewally good quality, but how can i make the footage captured smaller so it can fit on a dvd and retain the true quality, surely in movies they do the same thing as they manage to fit good quality movies on one dvd.

Many Many thanx Guys

Lokimus

2. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Lokimus,
    I've just got to the chapter in my thick book (see my post) that relates to this, and there are lots of pre/during filming tips on reproducing the 'filmic' look.
    It then gives a rather long explanation of how to achieve the look in post.
    I think, what it's saying is, render and save all your individual clips as .veg files. Load them back up, do whatever editing you have in mind. then, render them using the following settings:
    1. Set the project properties/Deinterlace mode to Blend Fields (default)
    2. Choose File>Render As
    3. Name your file, choose avi as the file format, select NTSC or PAL DV (inserting 2:3 Pulldown)
    4. Select best if you don't want to compress
    5. Render to a folder that can be located later.
    You need to do this for all events individually.
    Once you have done all your editing, open the .veg file, set project properties to 24p
    And I think this may give you the look.
    Don't ask me to explain any of that, I've just read and typed. It means nothing to me!!! :suicide:

3. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah ok thanx so so much! i shall try this out ASAP!

when you say:
    I think, what it's saying is, render and save all your individual clips as .veg files. Load them back up, do whatever editing you have in mind. then, render them using the following settings

do you mean after i had uplaoded all the footage i should save each uploaded clip as a veg file?

also you wouldnt happen to know the answer to my other question would you about compressing the clips so they will fit on a dvd and retain their quality?

many thanks

lokimus

4. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

5. lokimus

lokimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah ok thanx for you help i am very grateful!

lokimus

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    You need to use a good DVD authoring program! There are loads of these around at a massive range of costs, but a bad codec will loose a load of the origional quality. A good authoring program can normally get upto around 2 hours on a single layer DVD at minimal loss of PQ.
    An authoring program converts your AVI files to compressed MPEG-2 (the standard DVD format) to fit them on the DVD, and also lets you create chapters & menus on the disc. Some of the more advanced packages let you create Dolby Digital sound, and a few even DD surround sound - but these are obviously going to be far more expensive.
    Does your version of Vegus not have DVD authoring as part of the package? If not then you could upgrade to the latest version of Vegus+DVD or just get a separate authoring program such as Ulead DVD MovieFactory (~£30) or their higher end authoring program for around £200 if you need more control.

Mark.