VDSL SFP Modem

Nice, I guess that would save a box. Though I suspect that whatever you inserted them into would need an operating system that knows how to talk to that device and do things like talk to the relevant ISP and/or establish the PPP (or whatever) connection.

I'd be really surprise if, for example, you could just slap it into an SFP port on ethernet switch (essentially something that "expects" ethernet and the SFP's sockets are effectively to give choice over whether the port is copper or fiber, 10/100/1000/10G etc.) and it "just works."

More likely is intended for a "proper" big boys router (though even then with the "right" OS.) Years ago I had Juniper chassis into which we could install an ADSL card instead of using a dedicate/separate box - even then the OS needs to be up at "version/option whatever" before it would talk to it.

Last edited:
I actually found it on another forum where they are used in Australia but they didn’t say how you configure them for your ISP. What they did say is they do actually just plug them directly into the SFP ports of routers like UDMPs and they just work.

I actually found it on another forum where they are used in Australia but they didn’t say how you configure them for your ISP. What they did say is they do actually just plug them directly into the SFP ports of routers like UDMPs and they just work.
Did you every try this, I've been doing some research and seems an excellent way to get rid of my open reach modem and connect direct to my UDMP

This the best price I've fond so far SFP-VDSL2-Modem (Telco) - mikrotik-shop.de

Does the UDMP have a built in modem capable of doing the VDSL/ADSL job of the Openreach modem? As without this, you wont get an internet connection.

The UDM does have the necessary support for SFP modems so providing the default configuration of the SFP is compatible with your ISP it should be plug and play in much the same way as any other modem configured in bridge mode.

If the default settings aren't compatible it is possible to change the configuration of the SFP although I am not sure how this would be done with the UDM as when I looked at the CLI it was incomprehensible to me as it isn't like any other Ubiquiti device and they don't seem to have published any guides.

I have been tempted to try one for a while but a few anecdotal reports of low sync speeds put me off although I am not sure why this should be the case.

I did email http://www.wimood.nl, although have no experience of them, and they said that it should work with most UK ISPs and the UDM Pro if the SFP port is set to fixed 1Gb. They were happy to process a return if it didn't work. Since then I think some UK retailers have started selling them.

I am with Sky so if someone does try one and it works please let me know.

I have seen several Ubnt threads where people are using them with BT VDSL products.

I have seen several Ubnt threads where people are using them with BT VDSL products.
Most I have seen seem to report significantly lower sync rates. Have you seen any which have before and after comparisons with the BT or another router?

I am not convinced there should be any significant difference myself but it has always put me off the hassle of trying one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom