VDSL Modem / Router to replace BT HH5

Bobtab

Hi
Within the house we have 3 Xbox One consoles and have no end of problems when my kids both want to play online simultaneously.
We have BT Infinity 2 and a BT Home Hub 5 (which I believe will not support more than 1 Xbox One at a time).
I am looking at a TP- Link TD-W9980 N600 Dual Bank Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router.
Can anyone advise me whether this router can support multiple Xbox One consoles simultaneously?

Any help greatly appreciated.

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
BT Hub 4. No joke. It's better than the 5 imo. It's more down to whether UPnP works.

I would advise if you have the money to get a AC66U

sue_hall

Lo there,

I had lots of problems with my HH5, the 5Ghz wifi band kept dropping to unusable speeds after about 12 hours which meant I had to reboot the thing. BT were not much help and basically said that if they sent an engineer out, he'd reboot it and say there was nothing wrong and I'd get charged 130 quid for a non BT fault call out!!!

So rather than pay them, I put that money towards some decent kit. It wasn't the cheapest option but I ended up buying an ASUS RT-AC3200. I did initially use the HH5 as a modem - disabling the wifi etc on it, but ended up with double NAT which there was no easy way to get around. Basically to use all the functionality of the Asus, you need to use it in router mode and it will not allow the same IP range on both the WAN and LAN, so you end up with NAT on that, then NAT again on the HH5 from LAN to WAN on there.

Not sure if the double NAT had much effect, my lad could still play Xbox One games etc online but it annoyed me :)

So in the end I bought a second hand ADSL BT modem from that well known auction site and completely ditched the HH5.

The Asus has been completely rock solid, I've not had to reboot it once, and it's blazingly quick on wireless.

And if you're wondering why I bought a router without a built in ADSL modem, we plan on moving at some point soon and will probably end up in a Virgin Media enabled area as I work for them and will get very cheap / free services from them and I wanted to be able to use the router when that happens to, so didn't want to spend a fortune on one with ADSL modem built in, then not be able to use it a few months later.

D

Bobtab

Thanks for all the advice.
The HH5 seems ok with 1 Xbox One but both have live and constantly have to reset the hh5 which will inevitably allow one to connect but not the other (I don't use live, fortunately).
On rare occasions both will connect with no rhyme or reason that I can discern.
Over the Christmas/ school holidays the constant arguments over resetting the wifi has become intolerable. Hence the question regarding the new router.
Having looked at several different forums, the hh5 is apparently not fit for purpose (at least when it comes to allowing 2 or more Xbox one consoles to connect at once).

rob_brum

Hi
Within the house we have 3 Xbox One consoles and have no end of problems when my kids both want to play online simultaneously.
We have BT Infinity 2 and a BT Home Hub 5 (which I believe will not support more than 1 Xbox One at a time).
I am looking at a TP- Link TD-W9980 N600 Dual Bank Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router.
Can anyone advise me whether this router can support multiple Xbox One consoles simultaneously?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Have you given the XBOX's a static IP address?
Are they Wired or wireless?
Make sure you have turned off 'Smart setup' as well on the HH5(and re-booted after).

Bobtab

Have you given the XBOX's a static IP address?
Are they Wired or wireless?
Make sure you have turned off 'Smart setup' as well on the HH5(and re-booted after).
Xbox connections are wireless (no choice!).
I'm pretty sure that they have static IP addresses.
Don't know anything about the smart setup.
Recently enabled DMZ (I think that's the right name) for the xbox's which allowed an open Nat but still very random connections.

rob_brum

Switching Smart Setup on and off | BT

Prob worth trying switching it off I think its best to re-boot the Home Hub after as well.

In the hub's settings I think there's options for Xbox live port forwarding as well, but I think putting them in theDMZ negates that.

I think I read somewhere about having different SSID's as well Problems connecting your Xbox wirelessly to the BT Home Hub 4 or Hub 5 | Help | BT.com Help

Not sure it will help you but might be worth a try.

Bobtab

Switching Smart Setup on and off | BT

Prob worth trying switching it off I think its best to re-boot the Home Hub after as well.

In the hub's settings I think there's options for Xbox live port forwarding as well, but I think putting them in theDMZ negates that.

I think I read somewhere about having different SSID's as well Problems connecting your Xbox wirelessly to the BT Home Hub 4 or Hub 5 | Help | BT.com Help

Not sure it will help you but might be worth a try.
Thanks, I appreciate the help.
The xbox's will connect to the wifi, without issue but receive error codes from Xbox live.
Either states that settings are blocking access or could not obtain a torredo IP address or something similar.
It's all very random as occasionally they will connect without incident.

Thanks again.

Rottie

Xbox connections are wireless (no choice!).
I'm pretty sure that they have static IP addresses.
Recently enabled DMZ (I think that's the right name) for the xbox's which allowed an open Nat but still very random connections.
Hi there,
You might want to look into the option of power line adapters (AKA "Homeplugs")

Rottie

Thanks for the advice.
I have bought a TP-LINK router as mentioned in post#1.
I couldn't take anymore of the endless arguments between my kids.

Now to set it up.........?
Have a read of this to help with the set up. :smashin:

If you decide to go down the powerline/home plug route, as I previously suggested, then this YT movie explains that. :smashin:

TomSaunders29

Novice Member
Hi All,

It seems like the issue is not with the router, to not allow 2 or more Xbox consoles to go Live online at the same time.

Read the article below from Xbox website:-
Concurrent Sign ins on Xbox One Consoles

BobTab is this the case with you?

Also to setup the TP-Link router, are you using it with the BT Home hub as modem or are you setting it up as a complete replacement for Bt Hub?

Bobtab

Hi All,

It seems like the issue is not with the router, to not allow 2 or more Xbox consoles to go Live online at the same time.

Read the article below from Xbox website:-
Concurrent Sign ins on Xbox One Consoles

BobTab is this the case with you?

Also to setup the TP-Link router, are you using it with the BT Home hub as modem or are you setting it up as a complete replacement for Bt Hub?
Thanks for your reply.
All of the Xbox ones have separate live accounts.
I will be taking the HH5 out of the equation.
There are many reports online stating that the HH5 struggles to manage 2 or 3 Xbox one consoles simultaneously (often pointing to the upnp not working correctly).

Rottie

Thanks for your reply.
All of the Xbox ones have separate live accounts.
I will be taking the HH5 out of the equation.
There are many reports online stating that the HH5 struggles to manage 2 or 3 Xbox one consoles simultaneously (often pointing to the upnp not working correctly).
Hi again,
To be honest, I think you're going to struggle finding a SOHO router that's capable of what you want, at least, at a reasonable price point. That's not to say that there might be something "higher end" that might do the job, but I personally don't know of anything out there.

As I understand it, what you're trying to do is basically have two static LAN IPs and port forwarding the relevant ports for XBL, etc to both of those IPs simultaneously, but from my "intermediate" knowledge of networking, I don't think that's viable, as the router needs to know the port:IP to forward to/receive from, so it knows where to send/return any incoming/outgoing data.

The only way I can think of the above being possible, would be to set up two independent LANs (EG: 192.168.1.xx and 192.168.0.xx), fed from the router and then port forward the appropriate ports to the appropriate LAN IP.

I would advise against using UPnP and suggest googling the ports you need to open and set port forwarding rules, instead.

TomSaunders29

Novice Member
Hi BobTab,

I think the TP-Link TD-W9980 should do the Job. Even being slightly cheaper as compared to other advanced routers in the market, it still supports advanced features such as Port forwarding, Parental controls etc.

BTW, Did you manage to setup the TP-Link router?

Bobtab

Hi Tom
No mate, not got around to setting it up yet.
Hopefully get it done on Wednesday.
Thanks.

kamranavf

Novice Member
Hello Bobtab, did you have any luck connecting 2x xbox ones to xbox live with the W9980? I am having a very similar issue with Sky Fibre (and their terrible SR102 router) and am thinking of trying the W9980 as a replacement.

Bobtab

Hello Bobtab, did you have any luck connecting 2x xbox ones to xbox live with the W9980? I am having a very similar issue with Sky Fibre (and their terrible SR102 router) and am thinking of trying the W9980 as a replacement.
Hi
TBH I only installed the W9980 earlier today.
Still early but things are looking promising.
My youngest had not been able to access party chat for months but connected normally earlier.
It's too early to recommend yet but if all goes well I'll post back in a few days.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom